30mm Macro lens - the poor cousin of macro lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting and useful discussion in this thread, thanks everyone! I am transitioning from a TG5 to MF4/3 set up using my old OMD EM1 MkII in an OMD housing with PPO-EP02 dome port and PPO-EP03 macro port (found NIB pre-owned at good price).

I already had the 60mm macro and have just bought the 30mm macro. The PPO-EP03 port is meant to work with both lenses but obviously the 30mm is shorter and just wondering if anyone using it in the same port I have found the gap to be an issue?

What shorter port/s would work for the OMD housing? I think AOI do some OMD mount ports and have an adapter for using their pen mount ports. Does anyone have experience using either of those on an OMD housing?

I am planning to get a nauticam CMC-1 for use with the 60mm. Would it work with the 30mm as well? Either in the EP03 port or a shorter one?
I’m also looking at getting the kraken wide converter at some future point but need to know if I’ll need a shorter port for it to work well with the 30mm. Apparently it also works with the 12-50mm kit lens which also fits in the EP03 port.

Also, when using the 60mm topside one option is to set the focus limiter to 1:1 and then move the camera until you get to the right distance for the subject to be in focus at exactly that ratio. Just wondering if anyone has used that technique underwater with decent results or is it too difficult?

You should get the short port, the closer to the port glass the better. The 30 port also works with the 45 Leica. As for diopters, the 60 is your only real choice, the working distance of the 30 is already small, adding a diopter gets you functionally no increase in mag.
Bill

You should get the short port, the closer to the port glass the better. The 30 port also works with the 45 Leica. As for diopters, the 60 is your only real choice, the working distance of the 30 is already small, adding a diopter gets you functionally no increase in mag.
Bill

Thanks Bill!
Can you recommend any short ports with OMD mount?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom