1stages hit REV's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kudos to you for making improvements to your gear configuration. You're moving in the correct direction. However, as others have said better than I can. Your set up is not DIR. You can't go wrong with a Hogarthian rig.

Also... just get a new wing. That's the next right thing to do. :)

irregardless of its DIRness or not, that wing seems to simply be badly designed for doubles...

Only on the Internet dude, where everyone is an expert. I especially appreciate the expert opinions of those who have never taken any GUE training. :D

kltlasma:

This is one of the inherent "problems" of DIR: It's a systems.

That means that it's hard to move towards it in small steps. This will lead / has lead to infinite internet posturing and argument, but if you really want to go that way you need to bite the bullet at some point and get some gear that is compliant, take fundies and move from there.

Having a compliant BP/W is necessary just like having pockets to store your SMB / spool / wetnotes / spare mask / extra double ender etc.

Unfortunately that often leads to consternation along the way and the inevitable "but it's worked for me well so far", which in the end isn't worth much if you want to use a holistic system, because what you've been doing so far is often not in line with the system (both from an equipment _and_ a procedures standpoint).

The shorter answer would have been "sell that stuff and buy gear that is compliant". But really, if you can find a DIR diver locally (a real one, not the "I read it on the internet" kind :wink: ) you can discuss some of these issues and hopefully get some good pointers on how to make the transition with the minimum of pain & spending.

:)

Best of luck.

Bjorn

To stop the DIR vs the world here I have moved you to this thread location.

Moving it out of the DIR Forum is a great idea but dumping it in the Hog Forum probably wasn't the best thing to do. Either the General Tech Forum or Equipment Forum would have been more appropriate. There is NOTHING about this setup that is Hogarthian.

Only on the Internet dude, where everyone is an expert. I especially appreciate the expert opinions of those who have never taken any GUE training. :D

Well, it actually seems that everyone who responded before my post had DIR / GUE training

:coffee:

DIR or not DIR compliant wing, fact is i'm moving toward DIR diving for various reasons.
Because it's impossible to change all the equipment at once i have to change is in steps.
Eventually the equiment will be replaced but until that time i need to find a way to work with it in such a way i'm still able to dive DIR. In my view the procedures used will not change

The harnas webbing slides through a part of the bladder(not actually throug the bladder..) so for the moment there's nothing i can do about that.
if this was not the case a simply would get another wing/webbing.

The webbing around the waist had got lead pockets with D rings attached. These have been removed also and fitted with the D rings only. so there's also room for the diving light i had planned as my next purchase

Only problem so far are the 1stages which i've adjusted and tested this weekend. For the moment they settle behind the 1stages in horizontal trim and this will do for now.
The VX80 stages are bigger which i thinks is part of the problem.
This will leave the 1stages right behing my ears but will leave room for easy deployment of the long hose because now it cannot get stuck behind the stages.

This all might look a lot of work and effort to most of you because changing wings would solve the problem (however the vx80 stages still might be to bulky). To me this is the most economical way to change the configuration and still keep as close to DIR as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom