1stages hit REV's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kltalsma

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

I'm slowly moving toward a DIR configuration setup. I replaced my single 15liter cylinder with a double 7 but now there's a slight problem with the setup.
The REV on top of my wing and the inflator now hit my first stages.

1stetrap.JPG

There's nog room to adjust the height of the tanks/backplate so they dont hit each other. Lowering the tanks will make it harder to reach the valve's.

Any idea's apart from changing 1stages or wing?

Hi kltalsma.

You are posting your question in the DIR forum (because, as you stated, you are moving toward DIR) but the wing and BP you are using is not DIR. So, you can't really get a true DIR answer other than, "Get the correct BP/wing."

That said, I have two thoughts. The only time those do-hickeys will hit your first stages is on the surface when the BC is full, so, until you get the correct gear, live with it. Or, adjust the cam bands to move the valves up. I am guessing that with that style of BC, once you get it on, the valves are too low anyway.

Ebay is your friend!

Hi kltalsma.

You are posting your question in the DIR forum (because, as you stated, you are moving toward DIR) but the wing and BP you are using is not DIR. So, you can't really get a true DIR answer other than, "Get the correct BP/wing."

That said, I have two thoughts. The only time those do-hickeys will hit your first stages is on the surface when the BC is full, so, until you get the correct gear, live with it. Or, adjust the cam bands to move the valves up. I am guessing that with that style of BC, once you get it on, the valves are too low anyway.

Ebay is your friend!

Actually the valves are not to low, they can all be reached very easily.
Moving the valves up will make it uncomfortable and futher down will make reaching the valves much more diffucult.

Moving the valves up will make it uncomfortable and futher down will make reaching the valves much more diffucult.

With adjustment not being an option, the best bet is a new wing. The problem you are experiencing is one of the reason's why most wing manufacturer's put the elbow for the corrigated hose more in the center of the wing between the two posts.

i'll better live with it until i'm able to get a new bp/wing. Until now my wing worked out great in a single tank setup.

Holy s...

Do I see a bungeed wing in the DIR Forum? :D

Seriously, you've come to the wrong place for help. There's only one answer here and it ain't what you wanna hear.

Definitely time to get a new wing...

anyone got any objections to locking this thread due to "asked-and-answered"? i don't want to see the bungee wing flamewar start up, and i don't think the OP is going to get any better solutions...

kltlasma:

This is one of the inherent "problems" of DIR: It's a systems.

That means that it's hard to move towards it in small steps. This will lead / has lead to infinite internet posturing and argument, but if you really want to go that way you need to bite the bullet at some point and get some gear that is compliant, take fundies and move from there.

Having a compliant BP/W is necessary just like having pockets to store your SMB / spool / wetnotes / spare mask / extra double ender etc.

Unfortunately that often leads to consternation along the way and the inevitable "but it's worked for me well so far", which in the end isn't worth much if you want to use a holistic system, because what you've been doing so far is often not in line with the system (both from an equipment _and_ a procedures standpoint).

The shorter answer would have been "sell that stuff and buy gear that is compliant". But really, if you can find a DIR diver locally (a real one, not the "I read it on the internet" kind :wink: ) you can discuss some of these issues and hopefully get some good pointers on how to make the transition with the minimum of pain & spending.

:)

Best of luck.

Bjorn

anyone got any objections to locking this thread due to "asked-and-answered"? i don't want to see the bungee wing flamewar start up, and i don't think the OP is going to get any better solutions...

Well I personally thought my answer was pretty good, but I may be biased.

:lotsalove:

To stop the DIR vs the world here I have moved you to this thread location.

You can start by first removing the hose protectors from the regs this will allow for easier routing of hoses as there is less resistence to bending them and yes they can be better seen for wear and tear.

Second in time you will do better to get another badder but for now you may not really have any concerns of the operation of your REV's other then they may brush up against the 1st stages. You could switch to a 90 degree elbow on the left and learn to manual dump.
Other options are yes you can lower the tanks and work to really stretch to the valves. OR you can lower the badder keeping the BP you have and the tanks at the samer level. Your harnbess may need adjustment to make this work. Without seeing your equipment in the real and not a picture it is hard to assess what you can do. Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom