1st wetsuit buying advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO if you're getting anything from as thin as a 4mm and below, it doesn't matter what material or brand you get. I don't think you'd be able to feel any huge perceivable difference between a 3mm dive suit and a 3mm surf suit.

I will say however, suits that tout hyperflex materials are a bit more stretchy and elastic than regular neoprene suits. So if you're a odd shaped guy who can't fit most stock suits off the rack, you can get a hyperflex type suit that is a bit tight and it will fit you comfortably. I got a "last year model" 4/3 Hyperflex (Henderson knockoff) for $70 online, works great. I use it for pool work when the air temp drops to around 55F and it's dark and rainy; still warm :D.

Other than that just find a suit that fits you and will prevent water from flowing freely through your suit.
In terms of suit style I would stay away from ankle and wrist zips . They have a tendency to come undone if your limbs are bigger than the size the manufacturer thought of.
They do make it easier to take off your suit though, so if it fits like a glove then go for it. Otherwise it's not worth the post dive leisure.

I will generally agree with everything g1138 says here but caveat that by saying even at 3mm there is a distinct temperature difference (for me) between a hyperstretch/hyperflex suit and a standard neoprene suit. I don't happen to like the hyperstretch/hyperflex as much because of the difference but they are easier to get in and out of when you want. I fit several brands very well and several other brands don't fit me worth a damn. My biggest suggestion is try on a few brands and buy the one that fits best. They will be more comfortable and slightly looser in the water so don't buy one that is sloppy fitting in the dressing room. It will only get worse. It should be a snug fit with enough flexibility (when dry) to move your arms a full rotation, though it should be slightly tight at the highest point. The neck should be comfortable though tight when dry. No obvious large gaps between you and the suit.

Ankle and wrist zips are nice, if you fit well, but neither are absolutely necessary for most people. At 3mm i don't notice much difference between sealed and unsealed, personally, so I won't pay the premium for it. I have never paid more than $130 for any wetsuit, and I have owned 10 of them ranging from 2.5 mm up to 7mm and nearly every style. People who say you have to pay hundreds of dollars for a wetsuit are either very difficult to fit or don't know how to shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom