1st UK dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikki

Reaction score
I got my OW last month in the Bahamas
I am doing my first UK dive this weekend towards my AOW.
I am really looking forward to it, but a bit apprehensive as I know its going to be completely different to Bahamas, any one got any advice?
Thanks

1. Have fun!
2. Dive Safe!
3. Listen the the people around you about conditions, gear, and techniques.
4. Have fun!
5. Visit Pub (after all diving has completed) With other divers
6. Post a report and let us know how much fun you had! (And what beer you had!)

I'm from Ontario so I can't give specific UK advice....but the points above seem to work everywhere.

Nikki

I don't know where you'll be doing your AOW but you'll need to keep a lot warmer than in the Bahamas.

Best of luck

:samuria:

As a regular UK diver I always make sure I have 3 things with me:

A warm wooly hat (pre and post dive)
A flask of tea/coffee/hot chocolate
A chocolate bar

The waters over here are not known for being warm so this stuff always comes in handy. The viz is variable from 0 - 15 metres so you might want a torch (I always carry one)

And in agreement with the Welshman you must go to the pub as social drinking with post dive postmortem and urine extraction (ask a brit) is sometimes the best bit!!

Have fun and stay warm!!!

Tartan Terror's got it right - the best bit of dive kit in the UK other than a dry suit is the wooly hat and don't forget the gloves either - you may look like a numpty, but you will be a warm toasty numpty! All good boat captains will supply the hot tea or coffee.

Having said that I did my O/W in July and my AOW in August and was quite grateful for a wet suit - so hope you're lucky like me.

Believe it or not I miss diving in the UK - enjoy!

Jonathan

expect that buoyancy will take some time to adjust. With a thick wetsuit & the necessary heavier weightbelt, you may need to have a sense of humor about your clumsy trim for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom