1st try at DIR - (not too happy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In that case, I suspect mine is too long, since it can wrap around the lower edge of the Explorer

Well, it will reach with the correct size hose but only just. When the wing is inflated the force required to get it up into view is too much stress on the hose. HP hose should be 24" for the standard setup, this will allow you to haul it up into view without stressing the hose. Some folks like to attach their SPG on the left chest D-ring or on the front crotch ring. These setups require a longer hose but in any case the hose should run in front of the wing.

I think a standard HP hose, like what an SPG comes with, is about 32" (I'm guessing on this number).

Guess you're using the short hose protectors, instead of the standard size ones?

Actually I don't use any hose protectors. If I were to use them I would get the Underwater Kinetics brand (they drain best) and cut them in half. Yes, I inspect my hoses regularly for stress points.

Are your regs canted or horizontal? From the pics I've seen, Apeks are typically horizontal

My DS4s are horizontal with a bit of cant downward on the inboard portion (long part of first stage points inboard on both regs, slight downward angle on each).

Tom

Sounds like it's time to break out the wrenches again, and maybe the shears for the hose protectors too.

Thanks, Tom!

Did you have problems with the bolt snaps? You can also go with a larger snap - with the shorter hose.

Eric

EricFine50 raises a good point.

Originally, I went with the small bolt snaps suggested by GUE. Two problems.

1. I had some difficulty manipulating the snaps while wearing heavy gloves. I overcame most of the difficulty with practice, but it was always a little difficult.

2. On one memorable occasion, I accidently clipped my SPG off to the lower bolt snap on my deco bottle instead of the hip D-ring. The SPG bolt-snap and the deco bolt snap jammed together so tightly that neither I nor more dive buddy could dislodge it (I still don't know how come they jammed so badly). We terminated the dive and my dive buddy had to call off my pressure until I went to the deco bottle.

Based on these two events, I moved up to the next largest size of bolt-snap. No problems since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom