1st trip to Bonaire - What to bring and what to leave at home?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go very light on "nice clothes" A few items that use can use for nice meals out is OK but shorts and a nice T shirt works almost anyplace. In a Polo shirt you will be styling.

Bring OLD T-shirts as cover ups when out for the day diving. If they get pilfered no loss. If you need the luggage weight for souvenirs you can leave them behind.

If you happen to be at Buddy Dive they don't provide face cloths, just one scrunchie per room. If that's not cool with you bring a few old washcloths.

While shore diving you won't want to be leaving a good dive bag in the truck. Having a few cloth bags (trade show freebies or dirty old cloth grocery bags) was very helpful in keeping things organized.

If you still have room pack me.:D

Have a great trip.

Pete

Never noticed that face cloth problem. OOps shows how much I washed my face!

I only weigh 25 pounds can you fit me in your luggage?
LOL

I really can't squwak, I'm headed for Grand Cayman in 27 days, but whose counting. Oh and those 27 days will be shortened with a week in Florida starting next week.

Bring OLD T-shirts as cover ups when out for the day diving. If they get pilfered no loss. If you need the luggage weight for souvenirs you can leave them behind.

While shore diving you won't want to be leaving a good dive bag in the truck. Having a few cloth bags (trade show freebies or dirty old cloth grocery bags) was very helpful in keeping things organized.

Pete

Pete, can you elaborate? Is it common to have things taken from your vechicle while you are diving? That kind of sucks...

WOW! -- someone who hasn't seen all the "crime on Bonaire" threads.

Pete, can you elaborate? Is it common to have things taken from your vechicle while you are diving? That kind of sucks...

It's not unheard of but I think most will agree that is is overblown.

You will be instructed to leave your vehicle unlocked while diving or be responsible for broken windows. As such you leave nothing in the vehicle that you object to loosing. It's a bit of a pain since you can't take extra stuff like a nice topside camera around with you. We had no issues during our week there and most folks have the same experience.

Bring some sort of drybox that can carry a credit card and snack money should you want to stop someplace and dive with it. The good news is that the place is so compact that you can leave your resort for a pair of dives and be back to eat and re-tank before needing much.

It's a minor inconvence for the ultimate shore diving experience.

Pete

Here is my take to add to the others. Sorry for any duplication.

One pair of "nice" pants to wear during the night before departure meal. Similarly, one "nice" shirt (you know, the type with the palm trees on it).
A pair of pants that allow you to remove the bottom of the legs to turn them into shorts (wear these on the aircraft).
One, maybe two golf shirts. Or take one an buy one there.
Another pair of shorts.
The socks you wear on the aircraft. Any more than that is just taking up space in your luggage.
Depending on where you live and the time of year you leave home, wear a light sweater over a t-shirt under a windshell jacket for travel.
A couple of old t-shirts to wear enroute and returning from dive sites.
A good hat, especially for those folks that are follically challenged.
Cheap, dark sunglasses.
As for underwear, I take a couple of pair of these.
A pair of "stylish" sandals that you will wear every day.
A pair of flip-flops to get you to the dive site.
Dive gear (obvious) including hard soled boots.
Swimsuit.
Camera gear, including some portable device to download your photos.
Do take medications, bug spray, sunscreen.
Spare rechageable batteries for you electronics (careful on the rules for the LiOn types)

A copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (or you can buy a copy on the island)

Leave the rest at home.

I pack my camera gear in a carry-on (LowePro backpack) and carry a small bag with my laptop and toiletries on board too. We use the laptop to store photos and call home using Skype (elderly parents and kids to keep in contact with).

WOW! -- someone who hasn't seen all the "crime on Bonaire" threads.

I guess I have some more research to do <grin>! No, I haven't heard about this, the whole idea of Bonaire is new to me. That really sucks that they tell you to not lock your doors... is it locals or who? I can't imagine divers on vacation looting other vacationers rides. Veeery interesting!

It's not the other people on vacation who are breaking into vehicles, it's some of the locals. Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal and makes a lot of sense to simply take very little with you to the sites and leave the doors unlocked and windows open in the car. Other than that, everything else is common sense. when traveling IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom