1st time to Cozumel trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staffybull

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My girl and I went to Cozumel last week and had a blast. Dove the whole week with Scuba Mau. Diving was mind blowing. It was her first ocean dives period and my first time in the Caribbean. Dive op was excellent. We did half morning dives and half afternoon dives and also a night dive. Saw any and everything I was hoping to see and then some. The very first day on our way back to our resort dock, we stopped to watch a large pod of dolphins playing and jumping.
They came up to the boat so we jumped in and watched them. it was really neat. Had to be 12 or so, 2 being small juveniles. Only saw 3 lionfish the entire week with 12 dives. All three were small under 4 inches. The DM killed all of them. Dove the C53 which was cool. I really liked Palancar Gardens and the swim throughs. I took a GOPRO Hero HD and got tons and tons of videos and pics.
Stayed at Hotel Cozumel Resort. They had a nice pool area which I could care less. The rooms were pretty crappy and looked nothing like the photos. The ocean view was a parking lot, street, building, powerlines, then the ocean. LOL It was clean. Never ate the food. Tried a few drinks that were watered down. Not bad for the price but will stay somewhere else next time.
Had a list of places to eat. La Perlita gets my vote for best place we went to. One of the better meals I've ever had in my life. Had grilled lionfish which was outstanding. She had the kabob that is coch, lobster, and shrimp. It was excellent as well. We also really liked La Choza. REally cool place with excellent food and service. Coincidentally enough, we also had the worst meal of my entire life at Carlos N Charlies. I know I know. I did not want to go trust me. She wanted a "big drink" which was horrible. Very little alcohol in the tall tube margarita. Their food tasted like burnt ass to be honest. Not sure how you can mess up a burger and nachos but they did. Then it cost 60 bucks! Lesson learned on the touristy places for her. LOL
But we hit Wet Wendys on the last day there and wow! That place is incredible. The drinks were the best Margaritas I've ever had and huge. The service was outstanding and the food was great. We had the blackened chicken burrito and guacamole which was excellent. Their house tequilla was really good and they put plenty of it in the drinks. All in all it was a fun trip and the weather was great. Also went deep sea fishing, caught some yellow tail snapper, and ate them 30 min. later at La Honch I think it was.
All in all it was a really fun trip. To top it all off we got engaged the first night so I'm hoping Cozumel will now be a regular yearly trip. We are addicted for sure. Hoping to return on our honeymoon in the spring!

Last edited:
Thanks for the TR and glad you had a great time. I will be slurping down a Wet Wendy's margarita in just two weeks.

Man they were good. Can't beat a fresh fruit margarita w/ at least 4 shots in it. Had to be 40oz of margarita. Had the pineapple mango, the mango strawberry, and tried the Elvis which was really good.

Glad you had a great time and congrats on the engagement! Sounds like you have joined the ranks of us Coz Aholics, it's the best addiction ever! We always dive with Scuba Mau and they are always great, I'm glad to hear you had a good time with them. If you can, upload some pics of your trip. It's always nice to see others pics until we get to the island! We arent scheduled until mid Nov so I need all the help I can get until then!! :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the trip report and congrats on your engagement! The dolphins must have been cool to see!

Thanks for the trip report and BTW you are showing signs of Cozumelitis - Highly incurable - be warned. Also just a quick question but how do you know what burnt ass tastes like? :wink:

Dorado (mahi-mahi), maybe? Bright blue and green with black freckles and a bright yellow tail?

No, it was yellow tail snapper. Fishing wasn't that great. We caught two of those and two rainbow runners. Only fished for a couple of hours.

Thanks for the trip report and BTW you are showing signs of Cozumelitis - Highly incurable - be warned. Also just a quick question but how do you know what burnt ass tastes like? :wink:

Def have Cozumelitis. Will be back asap.
Well, I've smelled some rank farts and some awful burnt food. Pretty much what the food tasted like/smelled like.:wink:

Glad you had a great time and congrats on the engagement! Sounds like you have joined the ranks of us Coz Aholics, it's the best addiction ever! We always dive with Scuba Mau and they are always great, I'm glad to hear you had a good time with them. If you can, upload some pics of your trip. It's always nice to see others pics until we get to the island! We arent scheduled until mid Nov so I need all the help I can get until then!! :D

Thanks, yes Scuba Mau was great. Mau is a really cool dude. I'm going to try and get some pics on here this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom