1st time to 100' - Checking In

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted650 - yeah the depth doesn't scare me but it something that I want to ensure I am properly trained for before entering. There was a wreck at depth I was interested in so I learned the skills needed, learned the gas management needed, had the proper kit and went to see it.

I like to look at certain things in the water. Some are deeper than others. That usually dictates the depth I will be at :D

That being said, Thanks for the kind words.

Out of all this thread, one thing stuck out at me in particular - you were down in 68 degree water with no wetsuit. Wow. I'm, er, 'robustly built,' and mock my lean little dive buddy for getting cold, and I don't dive wet suits in the tropics, but I've dove Vortex Spring in Florida, which is supposed to be around 68 degrees year round, and can hardly imagine diving it without a wet suit.

Just posting to say I'm impressed, but also a little worried that cold like that might catch up with someone in a hurry. Thankfully it sounds like you weren't far below the thermocline, had a good buddy & were apparently fairly comfortable and careful.

Glad you had a good dive!

Richard.

Well, that's great! And I'm sorry I jumped on you, but when I asked about a gas plan and you replied, "We started up with 1050 psi" that was just a report of what HAPPENED, not a report of the plan. You went on to explain your plan -- and you had one, that's what's important.

drrich2 - Trust me lol, if I KNEW it was going to be 68 I WOULD have worn a suit haha. It was only below like 90 feet or something. It wasn't that bad really. I had ALOT of adrenaline going to remember :)

TSandM - no worries. I'm glad were on the same page. I think that the Gas Management issue is really important to know, and teach to others. It's amazing how many people do NOT even know what it is. A little scary actually.

Hey Richard, since you said you usually do not dive wetsuits in the tropics but at some locations in FL you so, which do you use?

I'm in the process of getting 1, maybe 2, wetsuits and don't really know which would be best; outside of the appropriate Mil obviously lol.

Open to suggestions, and I think I am looking for something in the FULL variety BC when the jellyfish were getting me lol, it was ALL OVER my body. So I'd like to prevent that in the future hahah.

Thanks

And TSandM - when figuring my Gas Managemnt consumption needs in the future, will there need to be any variance allowance for the compression / displacement of the wetsuit? It was not an issue in the planning for THAT dive but I did not wear a suit. Wearing a suit in the future may need to be accounted for during the calculations, I'm just not sure if YES, and if yes, HOW.

Thanks Again

USVet

Hey Richard, since you said you usually do not dive wetsuits in the tropics but at some locations in FL you so, which do you use?

Since I'm big & beefy and didn't figure local wet suits would fit off the rack (I'm in western KY), I ordered a 2 piece 5 mm Aleeda brand wet suit. Fit okay (strangely, I dropped from well over 300 down to roughly 275 & it still fits - I cannot explain that...) - just the legs were a bit too long, but that's not a major hassle. I bought it online over 5 years ago. This wasn't a carefully researched thing; I was just looking for a wet suit for OW check out dives at the time. Serves the purpose, though.

You will probably want gloves and a hood, too, for chilly water, since if your hands and head are cold enough, you'll still have to head up. Problem is, I've got a big head, too; tried I think a 2-X Henderson on in a dive shop recently and it was pretty tight.

Richard.

A suit would only enter into the calculations if it affected your breathing or changed the amount of work you had to do to swim. Wetsuits generally don't impact that much, as they are pretty streamlined. Dry suits can increase your gas consumption a little, because they increase drag.

I'm in the process of getting 1, maybe 2, wetsuits and don't really know which would be best; outside of the appropriate Mil obviously lol.

Open to suggestions, and I think I am looking for something in the FULL variety BC when the jellyfish were getting me lol, it was ALL OVER my body. So I'd like to prevent that in the future hahah. Thanks Again

USVet
i'm not richard I but do dive year round here in ft lauderdale so here's my two cents. A 3mm is pretty versatile. In the summer i dive a 3mm, granted it's pretty compressed by now and more like a 1-2mm, if you get to warm you can always flush some water thru the suit to cool off. As the temps drop add a hooded vest. As you head into winter you will want a 5mm, again if it gets too cold add the hooded vest. So with two suits and one good hooded vest you are pretty good year round here.

I am also a diver in so fla and if you are looking to buy a new wetsuit, I'd recommend going to the dive direct off of I95 next to the bass pro shops- not necessarily because they have the best prices, but because they have a wide selection for you to try on. Initially, I bought a liner and a full 3mm and used the liner by itself in the summer. Eventually I bought a shorty.

It amazing how different they can be (I wanted one that contoured to my contours, so to speak) so go there, see which brand, style and size you want, then try to find it at the best price- at your local dive shop or on line. Good luck- and happy diving!!

Congratulations on your successful dive -- and good planning.

68 degrees w/o a wetsuit? Screw the jellies, I'm in a 5mm < 76 degrees... and in Fla, a 3mm above that... (no matter how far above that it goes).

Back
Top Bottom