1st time to 100' - Checking In

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Dennis. I appreciate the kind words. I was a little nervous but it was all good because I was so prepared so I was never freaked at all. I try to focus on every detail and prepare for every contingency just in case. And thinking that way, when the little things DO happen (because they will happen lol) you just deal with it because you were already expecting it and planned for it.

I kind of related the deep dive to HALO school.

It was like the 1st time I did a HALO from 25,000' in the military at night. When that ramp came down ALL you saw was a cold black hole lol. Was I nervous, hell yeah I was. However, when that green light came on, my training took over. I stopped being nervous and simply did what I was trained to do, I jumped without thought or hesitation. And all was fine. Jump was clean and no injuries.

I would also encourage you to get a dive skin/rash guard this will protect you on the warmer days where a wetsuit is too warm.

---
- FB-Florida Scuba Diver

I had an Under Armor shirt on (well it didn't have sleeves lol) that kind of did nothing. I usually just wear that but yeah, now everything is changed.

I am thinking of getting a 1.5 mil full and maybe a 3 mil shorty plus a long sleeve rash

I thought I read something about having to to be nude once you hit 100:rofl3:

I was NUDE when I got home and celebrated :D

I might be a little off here but I am thinking I recall leaving the bottom with roughly around 1050psi and I'm guessing here but I think we were using LP85's.

I really, really don't want to rain on your parade . . . but this is a gas history, not a gas plan. And that was my point. Did you use Bob's article, and calculate how much gas you would need to get you and your buddy up from 100 feet? Did you adjust it for current, or having to get back to the upline? Did you compare the size of tank you were using to the gas needs of the proposed dive?

One of the scariest things for me about the AOW class, and in particular the deep dive, is that virtually every year here in Puget Sound, we lose a diver who runs out of gas. All too often, this is someone who has just done his AOW deep dive, and feels confident in going to greater depth, without really knowing how much gas he needs to do that. I gave you that link when you posted about taking this class and doing this dive, because I know this isn't taught . . . nobody seems to think it is necessary. I think planning is better than reaction in every environment in the world, diving no exception. Knowing how much gas you need, comparing that to the tank you have, and knowing what safety reserves are, means you get in the water beautifully prepared. You know how long a dive you can do, so you know when you should be looking at shallowing up -- you also know if the dive you are proposing is pushing limits or beyond your means.

Narcosis and colors are all very well and good, but at 100 feet, neither is likely to kill you. Neither, honestly, is DCS, so long as you breathe on the way up. But running out of gas very well may, and the least attention is paid to preventing this.

Sorry . . . I'll step off my soapbox now.

Still glad you had a good dive, and had fun, and I hope you will forgive me for using your dive as a platform from which to preach conservative and INFORMED gas management :)

Ummm...... Actually I DID read the article, I DID a gas plan, and the numbers I gave you were spot on.

The way the calculations came out, which WERE done BEFOREHAND, according to Bob's gas management piece, I needed to begin my ascent with around 1050psi remaining air for Myself AND my Buddy. That would be enough air to allow for a safe descent for myself AND my buddy, WITH a safety stop for 3 minutes AND our deep stop along the way.

You are completely OFF your mark here. I DID everything to make this a safe dive during the planning, and then dove the proper plan, WITH enough gas and according to our numbers.

Everything was properly done

And the numbers I said earlier when I said "I think" were because like I told you, I did not have the log book in front of me where we did all of pre-dive management. I KNEW what psi I needed to leave the bottom with, taking the reserve into account for my buddy AND myself, and HE knew as well, so we left the bottom accordingly. Had an OOA happened, we BOTH had enough calculated air in reserve to handle it properly because we PLANNED IT AHEAD OF TIME and left the bottom when we were supposed to.

I know what you are trying to say and I appreciate it. I appreciated so much IN FACT that I read the article and actually planned my dive EXACTLY as it told me I should. I am VERY grateful for that advice and learned a lot as a result.

But please do try to know ALL the facts before you criticize. I KNOW you mean well and you are trying to help so I can't stay mad at you :cool2:

Our numbers:

7cf (3 ATA) = 21cf PER Diver X 2 Divers = 42cf
(42cf / 4) 100 = 1050psi

1050psi MIN needed to take 2 Divers to the surface SAFELY in OOA from 100'(using LP85's with a SP of 2400psi)
(WITH Stop at 50' AND Safety Stop)

** 1050psi needed by EACH Diver

Good work on the deep dive. I,ve been to 94 feet, but only in Tahiti. I think that in warm water with good vis you can end up a lot deeper than you realize before you know it. In cold water with poor vis you are way more aware of the depth...Don't be freaked out because deep is deep, but think about it before you sign up for a deep dive in different conditions. And by that I mean COLD.

TSandM - And to be completely honest with you, and everyone else who offered advice here, I am 100% GREATFUL that the "Gas Management" issue, and article, was brought to my attention. You are correct that it is not taught, or even talked about, and is probably the MOST important aspect of dive planning. Especially when planning deep dives.

It's a little ironic now, but I seriously do not know HOW you would create a proper dive plan WITHOUT gas management numbers and the safety reserve calculations numbers needed done.

I am a very safety conscious diver and try to plan for every eventuality beforehand. This is another tool that I can now employ to be even MORE prepared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom