1st Time Maui - Too Many Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next time I'm in Maui, I'm going with Mike Severn's. Last time I dove with Ed Robinson's, and I didn't appreciate one of the DM's digging an octopus out of the ground, presenting it for photographs after it exhausted all of its ink.

Not cool at all...they should know better. I would have reported it to the owner.

Awesome trip report and some amazing pics.

Just out of curiosity what were the dive times/depth like with Lahaina Divers out at the Cathedrals?

I checked my computer and here's the stats:

Dive 1: Max Depth: 68ft, Avg Depth 44ft, Total Dive Time: 47mins (no name Site)
SI: 47mins
Dive 2: Max Depth: 57ft, Avg Depth 40ft, Total Dive Time: 49mins (2nd Cathedral Site)

So, not too bad - I'm just spoiled from smaller boats.

Thanks for the trip report. I usually dive with Extended Horizons for Lāna'i trips, and can confirm they are a great outfit. We're heading to Maui later this month and plan to dive Lāna'i again. Unfortunately, Extended Horizons' boat will be in dry dock for annual maintenance the week we are there, so we have to use Lahaina Divers. Appreciate the heads up; we can set our expectations appropriately.

Great shots, by the way. :)

Thanks!

I don't want to badmouth Lahaina Divers - they ran a safe boat. My preference is just for smaller boats and longer dive times. I do have a few tips, that were passed along to me. If you chat up your guide a little and let them know you're experienced, that can help. Then, be ready first and get in first, and get out last. My guide was OK with me doing this - I told her beforehand.

I don't want to badmouth Lahaina Divers - they ran a safe boat. My preference is just for smaller boats and longer dive times. I do have a few tips, that were passed along to me. If you chat up your guide a little and let them know you're experienced, that can help. Then, be ready first and get in first, and get out last. My guide was OK with me doing this - I told her beforehand.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't read your comments as badmouthing them, FWIW. We too prefer smaller boats, but sometimes you just have to play the hand you are dealt. :)

To follow up on this thread, we just returned from a week and a half in Maui. We dived with Ed Robinson's most of the trip (South Maui area), and with Lahaina Divers for the Lana'i trip. Despite being on a full boat (23 divers), I have to say that Lahaina Divers did an exceptional job. My wife and I were put in the first (most experienced) group, so we were first in, and last out. We never felt rushed or crowded. They also do a 3-tank charter out to Lana'i on Thursdays that allows them to hit some rarely-visited sites on the leeward side of the island. Will definitely try to do that trip next time we are in Maui.

I did the Molokai hammerhead dive in 2013, it was a great trip. Sorry to hear these tings about Ed Robinsons, I've used them twice and had good experiences, never witnessed such jackassery. Personally, I love staying in Kihei,.

Sometimes you get tired of reading the news and you just want to look at turtles for 3 minutes. For those times:

Some footage snorkeling at Honolua, and then most of the footage diving at Mala pier.

Back
Top Bottom