1st time @Key Largo, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My wife and I were flying to Argentina via Miami and we thought that we would visit our close friends in Key Largo. We arrived mid-morning on a red eye from Seattle. Since we packed for spring skiing in the Andes, we did not bring any dive equipment. It was a bit different diving with borrowed equipment that may not fit all that well. With warm water, mild to zero current, it hardly made a difference and we were were super happy divers.

During the first afternoon, we pushed through red-eye fatigue with a visit to the Elbow and snorkeled at the Hannah M. Bell wreck/debris. Wonderful clear and warm water, with cool cannons siting on the sandy bottom at shallow depths. The bottom was so accessible and I hardly had to equalize. We even followed a immature nurse shark.

The second day, we visiting the Benwood wreck and Dry Rocks. Super chill diving after a month of guiding in Komodo. Totally fun, easy and great visibility.

The third day, we visited Spiegel Grove. Upon arrival, a group of divers were getting back to Rainbow Diving, so we waited for their mooring line (#6) and had the wreck to ourselves. We could even see the wreck from the surface, current free and superb visibility. I had not used 21% mix, so we had to watch our NDL. My wife was interested in checking out a group of groupers, so descended a bit deeper and had about 3 mins of deco. All deco resolved upon ascent. We feel spoiled with such great conditions without any other bubbles. We visited Horseshoe reef for our second and super chill dive.

We really enjoyed our diving, dinners, and cocktails at Key Largo. Visiting our friends was super fun and driving on their boat was a blast. Rather than comparing the diving between Key Largo and Indonesia, our feeling was the diving is really different - but in a good way. Life is wonderful diving in warm water, with excellent visibility, and visiting close friends.

thanks for sharing your fantastic dive report...

I lived in the Keys for a couple years. I can always return the favor of a restaurant and things to do recommendations!! (I leave for Singapore in one week...not that I'm counting.) :)

I lived in the Keys for a couple years. I can always return the favor of a restaurant and things to do recommendations!! (I leave for Singapore in one week...not that I'm counting.) :)

Hi Kristen. Thanks for reaching out. Recommendations are always welcome! Also, did you receive my email regarding restaurants in Singapore.

FYI, as a freelance dive instructor, I might take students to Key Largo for their OW sessions. I have meet a few Seattle divers want to get certified, but are only interested in visiting tropical waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom