1st time diving in Grand Cayman: East End Honeymoon Questions

When is best time to visit East End and dive?

• Late June early July

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • July

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • August

• Sept

• October

• Nov - Jan

• Feb - March

• April -may

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Faust3

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
my Wife has here advanced diver cert but it’s been 15 years so she is recertification with me as a wedding present to each other and we want to go to Grand Cayman to dive, relax and have an adventure. We are both active 50 year olds. Because the first time at Greand Cayman and our Honeymoon we would of course not have to worry about weather. But we won’t be done with dive cert til June 15th or so.

What is the best time to visit and dive on GC?
Is August/Sept/Oct not a good time to go?
Likely staying on East End.
Recommended dive operations?
Staying a week, where should we dive for sure?
Any thoughts on Wyndham Reef resort?

Any helpful hints to make our trip amazing would be awesome.
Thank you

What is the best time to visit and dive on GC?
Is August/Sept/Oct not a good time to go?
Likely staying on East End.
Recommended dive operations?
Staying a week, where should we dive for sure?
Any thoughts on Wyndham Reef resort?

Any helpful hints to make our trip amazing would be awesome.
Thank you

Best time - Really anytime but I prefer going when the air and water warmer, May-August is our preferred time. December our least favorite time. Sept and Oct can be wonderful. Trip insurance may be a good idea for those months.

We enjoy stays both on the East and West. Depending on your interest and budget, we like Oceanfrontiers for staying and diving on the East. They are the best op on the East End and one of the best on the island. If you plan on diving everyday, making this honeymoon a dive trip this is the dive op. They have nice units with full kitchens and their packages include a car which is a must, especially if staying on the East End.

Where to dive - any and all sites will be enjoyable and if diving a week you will hit plenty. Babylon stands out due to its unique formations - a pinnacle rising from the depths just off the main wall.

Wyndham Reef Resort - never stayed so no first hand knowledge. Reviews can be found on SB

Helpful tips - dine at Tukkas at least twice if staying out on the East End. Wonderful restaurant. Visit Rum Point and spend and afternoon relaxing and swimming and time it for after any cruise ship crowd has left.

Have a great trip

Last edited:
Congratulations! What do you like to do on vacation beside dive? The East End is great for a quiet trip but if you like to dine out then you will be far from most of the islands' restaurants.

We stayed at the Reef once long ago, before the Wyndham affiliation. It was right about when the Compass Point condos opened and we weren't sure they would be open in time, so we booked at the Reef. We've also stayed at Morritt's Tortuga Club and Compass Point.

Compass Point is very nice and would be the most convenient for diving with on-site Ocean Frontiers, which is a great dive op and would be my choice for diving. (If you have thoughts of doing both the morning and afternoon boats you definitely want to stay there - while the other places aren't that far, there's not really enough time to drive back to your room to do anything in between without being way too rushed. If you're sticking to one boat trip each day it's still more convenient to be on site, but works fine to stay elsewhere. It doesn't have a big beach like the other 2, but they've added a manmade sort of beach/lounging area that is pretty nice. The pool nearer the waterfront units is more for for dive training than lounging around, but there's a regular pool/hottub and more condos across the street. It's all more "dive vibe" than "beachy resort" feeling.

The Reef has a nice beach with pools and water features right on the beach, and the units are nice. If not for diving, it would be my choice of the 3 for a beach vacation or honeymoon. The watersports operator there (White Sands) lists diving but you don't hear much about it. Someone on this board wrote about it a while back so you can probably find it in a search. It doesn't seem like a big part of what they do, but they do all sorts of other watersports stuff that might be fun if you're into that. If you decide to try diving with them please come back and give us a review!

Morritt's Tortuga Club is adjacent to the Reef. We only stayed there to burn some timeshare points. It's fine, but my least favorite of the 3. If you can get beachfront it's nicer, but there are a lot of units facing pools and parking and other units. They're in shade often and just feel dreary to me. There is actually also Morritt's Grand there which is newer and I think nicer, on the water but a bit more highrisey. The on-site dive op is Tortuga Divers, which is part of Red Sail. They have a bit of a long-time reputation of being more suited to newer/casual divers, but I've never personally used them and haven't heard much lately. They would probably be fine and convenient to use if you stayed there (or at the Reef, for that matter.)

Morritts or the Reef, or maybe both, have small spas. We tried one but I don't recall much except it was hard to get a callback and make an appointment so maybe plan ahead a little. Both have good snorkeling off the beach. Morritts has a small gym, don't recall about the Reef. They're both timeshares, but Morritt's feels more like one.

It's true there aren't many restaurants out that way, but there are enough. We've never been impressed with food at the Reef, but it's been awhile. Morritt's we've had surprisingly good food, but again it's been awhile. Compass Point has their restaurant which I've heard is good but got added since our last stay. There's Italian Kitchen in the strip mall near the Reef which has been good, and an Asian fusiony place near Compass Point that had good reviews last I looked. Tukka is nice, not a long drive and has always been great. The Lighthouse is a little further but also nice. Over the Edge is a rustic feeling place on the North shore that we'll usually hit once. There are a couple places around Rum Point worth trying if you decide to head there one day. There's a number of more "local" places around that we mostly haven't tried but I think some are worth checking out. And you may want to drive back to west end at least once to do a little shopping or exploring, so that's a good time to pick out restaurants to try there. We would typically dive in the morning then drive back west to do stuff and have dinner once or twice.

Most units at the places on the East end will have kitchens. If you want to pick up some things, be aware the closest major grocery store is back near the airport, and the major grocery stores are not open on Sundays. There is a smaller market on the East end that is pretty well stocked but also closed Sunday. You can find convenience stores open Sundays for milk/eggs sort of stuff, especially if they're attached to a gas station. Just something to plan around depending what day you are arriving.

Last edited:
Ok, not in East End, but USS Kittiwake is a must dive when in GC. Cayman Diving in Georgetown is a great operator.

Such great information, thank you so much!

We are getting the room paid and maybe AI paid as well which is why we were thinking the Reef.

We will likely get a car so we can have flexibility and move around.

Congratulations! What do you like to do on vacation beside dive? The East End is great for a quiet trip but if you like to dine out then you will be far from most of the islands' restaurants.

Snorkel, hike, water sports, explore.
We are pretty active 50 year olds

Best time - Really anytime but I prefer going when the air and water warmer, May-August is our preferred time. December our least favorite time. Sept and Oct can be wonderful. Trip insurance may be a good idea for those months.

We enjoy stays both on the East and West. Depending on your interest and budget, we like Oceanfrontiers for staying and diving on the East. They are the best op on the East End and one of the best on the island. If you plan on diving everyday, making this honeymoon a dive trip this is the dive op. They have nice units with full kitchens and their packages include a car which is a must, especially if staying on the East End.

Where to dive - any and all sites will be enjoyable and if diving a week you will hit plenty. Babylon stands out due to its unique formations - a pinnacle rising from the depths just off the main wall.

Wyndham Reef Resort - never stayed so no first hand knowledge. Reviews can be found on SB

Helpful tips - dine at Tukkas at least twice if staying out on the East End. Wonderful restaurant. Visit Rum Point and spend and afternoon relaxing and swimming and time it for after any cruise ship crowd has left.

Have a great trip

Great heads up
Thank you
So helpful

Definitely hit Singh's Roti Shop for lunch. Not much to look at inside, but worth a grab and go for sure.

Since you mentioned the East End I voted for September. During the winter months, December through March the weather can be very windy and the seas quite rough. When I lived there I found the late summer months to be fairly mild.

Ocean Frontiers (OF) offers great service, well maintained gear and boats. Compass Point, the resort OF is attached to, is quite nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom