1st time Diver - Instruction in PDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennyscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All,

I'm going to PDC with my gf after new years and she has never dove before. She has decided to take a discover scuba class to give it a shot.

I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good op for a first time diver. I was inclined to go with TankHa from reading the boards but if anyone had any strong personal feelings for anyone else that would be great. I would probably do the open water part with her and then do a few more days of diving myself (cozumel/cenotes) but I really wanted to make sure she had a good first experience.

Also for that time of year (1/4 - 1/10) how necessary is it to book all dives ahead of time. Do boats for the more popular shops (like Tankha) book up or is it a pretty safe bet i can just walk up the day before and hop on board? I prefer staying with one shop the full week, but could bounce around if necessary...

Thanks,

bg

Hola BG, Just thought I would drop in and say "Hi"! I run a lil operation down here in PDC. Here's a sample of what one of my Intro or DSD courses looks like...it's private and one on one...

Tank Ha is a good shop. I doubt you could do better in Playa. You might be able to book the day before, but it would be a good idea to book ahead. The dive operations can get booked up.

Just got back from PDC 12/03 - dove w/ Jason. Going to be going back down in May with a couple scuba newbs - who like your gf haven't been underwater before. I asked Jason about helping the two of them out. That expanded into perhaps doing something will all 6 of us! Can't beat the personal attention and customer service he provides.

I wrote up a big report in another thread.

Hola BG, Just thought I would drop in and say "Hi"! I run a lil operation down here in PDC. Here's a sample of what one of my Intro or DSD courses looks like...it's private and one on one...

I just dove with PlayaCountyBoy (Jason) today. Needless to say I had a great time. He is extremely personable, knowledgeable and capable of curtailing his diving style to accommodate all types of dives at various skill levels. I had to drive ½ hour south to get to his location due to my hotel location. The only reason I made the drive was due to the recommendations from this board and I was not disappointed!

I recommend Tank Ha. I have used them on two trips, and recently my wife completed her open water check-outs with them. The staff were very safety-conscious and thorough.

I'll put my 2 cents in for Jason with Fantaseadive. I am already OW certified but we took 2 friends with us (1 adult and 1 child) to do their checkout dives for certification and we all got to dive together. Great experience, 1 on 1 treatment. Look for my new thread tomorrow re: Jason and my 8 dives this past week!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom