1st Step Completed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steele

Contributor
Reaction score
Completed an IANTD Cavern course over Thanksgiving Day Holiday in FL. I think the name of the spring we went to first was Royal(?). I have to look in my logbook. Extremely silty. Touch the bottom and you have jacked it up for a long time.

PS - thank you OW students. :D

We did not enter the cavern there. We stayed in the basin practicing skills. We are told there are two types of people who enter this cave system:
Those about to be a corpse, and those recovering the soon to be corpse.

This place is perfect for line drills and stuff in the basin though.

Sunday we hit Orange Grove Sink. I knew it would be spectacular and breathtaking entering a cavern for the first time, and you know what? I was right. Man o man. What a sight. What an experience. I was totally stoked.

The gold line is just beyond our reach so we stayed back a bit and just stared at the start of the cave area. Yea, it looks pretty easy to get to, but... not yet. I'm happy to explore caverns for a while and do it the correct way. :05:

My team performed fairly well. We need LOTS more practice and LOTS more easy dives, but I know we can do this, and do it safely. Man! No mask-OOA drills are fun! I want to do it AGAIN! And AGAIN!

Our instructor was demanding and extremely meticulous in his critiques and what he expected of us. We had no doubt he'd fail any and all of us if we were lacking the skills. What a great guy, and I will pursue my Tech and Intro/Full Cave with this guy when it I'm ready. No doubt about it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting into some more caverns soon!

One thing I find particularly distasteful are snotty cavers gearing up and muttering about out of state divers. I don't give a crap who you are, what level of training you may possess, or where you call home. I'll dive wherever I'm allowed. I paid my fee just like everyone else. PS - nice snorkel. :wink:

Congrats on getting cavern certified! Just be warned that cave diving is extermely addictive, and can be quite frustrating when you don't live in cave country.

Bruce

Steele:
One thing I find particularly distasteful are snotty cavers gearing up and muttering about out of state divers. I don't give a crap who you are, what level of training you may possess, or where you call home. I'll dive wherever I'm allowed. I paid my fee just like everyone else. PS - nice snorkel. :wink:

Too bad,hopefully better next time.

Bruce: Thanks bud. It was a BLAST. And yes, it is addictive. I'm ready to go back again asap. I live 3 hours from Vortex/Morrison and about 4.5 from Peacock. Seems like a billion though.

Karstdvr: I just assume there are jackasses in any group and shrug it off. On a side note, I know what your name means now. :)

Steele:
Completed an IANTD Cavern course over Thanksgiving Day Holiday

Congratulations on the cavern course completion.

Pay no attention to the divers complaining about your presence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom