1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

udtm13

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
If you were to continue using your same reg and first stage with never a overhaul over the last few years and there is already 180 hrs on the rig. What will eventually happen or can be expected? Does it get harder to breathe? Will the first stage eventually seizeup? Just wondering. My diving is no deeper then 40 ft and am comfortable with free ascent.

I can just tell you from my own experience with my old Oceanic Delta 2, that if I don't have it overhauled I've had problems with air leaking from the first stage, and have had to cancel my dives. On the other hand other people report no problems with exceeding the one year interval.

Adam

Unless you can see corrosion or deposits buildup, the failure mode you should eventually expect is gas leaking from the 1st stage due to a seal failure or IP increasing to the point of causing a 2nd stage to freeflow). With good care and quality seats and seals, that 1st stage may provide adequate performance for many years without an "annual service".

Most common problems would be leaks and free flow and it can get hard to breath depending on the problem, but why risk a free ascent (not as simple in real world as it is in a simulation...) instead of just servicing the regs regularly?

Most common problems would be leaks and free flow and it can get hard to breath depending on the problem, but why risk a free ascent (not as simple in real world as it is in a simulation...) instead of just servicing the regs regularly?

That's my thinking as well. Trying to save $60 or so over a year to run the risk of canceling a dive or having problems during the dive is not good tradeoff.

Adam

That's my thinking as well. Trying to save $60 or so over a year to run the risk of canceling a dive or having problems during the dive is not good tradeoff.

Adam

1.) See couv's link. Very good info.

2.) What might be interesting is to ask those who service their own regs (thus cost is much less of a factor) how often they perform an "annual" service on their personal regs... the range of answers will probably surprise you, but my answer is, "when needed" :wink:

Best wishes.

2.) What might be interesting is to ask those who service their own regs (thus cost is much less of a factor) how often they perform an "annual" service on their personal regs... the range of answers will probably surprise you, but my answer is, "when needed"
I service my own regs. That is my answer as well. Having said that, I usually have a reason to do an overhaul within a given 2 year period, as they get used frequently.

1.) See couv's link. Very good info.

2.) What might be interesting is to ask those who service their own regs (thus cost is much less of a factor) how often they perform an "annual" service on their personal regs... the range of answers will probably surprise you, but my answer is, "when needed" :wink:

Best wishes.

Yes, when needed.

IP creep is probably the most common symptom that a first stage needs some attention. An actual leak, like a HP o-ring in a BP or balance chamber o-ring in a diaphragm, is probably a little less common.

If you get an IP gauge and check your 1st stage frequently, you'll notice something long before it's likely to become a problem.

Back
Top Bottom