1st Stage failed service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that's good to know. Thanks. Was a little worried that I buggered my regs.

There was no visible sign of threadlock on the threads new.

I'll likely torch the adapter to heat up the thread lock, and crack the adapter loose, before sending them in for their next service. I used red.

The 1205 manual doesn't provide Locktite color, but 1208 says blue!

20230125_132058.jpg

The 1205 manual doesn't provide Locktite color, but 1208 says blue!

View attachment 766201
I find it amazing that NO torque values are given anywhere in the manual, for anything.

Done right, blue can be a pita to crack loose as well. I'd still heat it and pop it before sending it in.

As a mechanic, it can't be much torque. You can clearly feel it bottom, and it's brass. When I retorked mine, I knew right away it had no chance of holding, without threadlock.

Why would a dive shop tech have to eat it?

If I remove the brakes on your truck, and your caliper spits it's pistons out in a dozen pieces.......that's on you. Stuff happens. If you think your tech is a hammer mechanic, it's better to just try elsewhere.

The Din reg's that come unthreaded so easy, are just a silly bad design. Why isn't there a locking pin, bolt, or nut. Or spline the adapter, and bolt it down. Weird that the reg industry hasn't fixed this minor issue yet.

Had to use threadlock to keep the regs together, incase someone turns it by the body, again. Seems like the only 2 options: threadlock, or over torque.

First, I never said the dive shop tech would 'have to eat it'. I said the shop should arrange for dive rite to replace the regulator. Why? Because scuba 1st stage regulators never, ever crack open under normal use and service. Any respectable scuba regulator manufacturer would replace a 1st stage with that damage in the absence of some obvious abuse by the owner, for example if the tank fell over with a reg attached and the damage was evident. Scubapro replaced the DIN and yoke retainers on every single MK20 they made, regardless of warranty status, because a very small number of them cracked due to service technician incompetence.

Second, no scuba regulator that I have ever seen or worked on or even heard of should ever be assembled using threadlock. I would save that for your car service. Do you really want those chemicals anywhere near compressed breathing gas?

I have never had a DIN retainer come loose on a regulator. I have seen it once when a boat crew member reached into the water and pulled a tank/BC (with weights) out of the water by the regulator, which of course is a really bad idea. But in general, I'm not sure there's an existing problem with DIN or yoke retainers coming loose in normal use when serviced correctly.

Second, no scuba regulator that I have ever seen or worked on or even heard of should ever be assembled using threadlock. I would save that for your car service. Do you really want those chemicals anywhere near compressed breathing gas?
And yet, @greeniguana just posted images of the manual for a regulator that specifies thread lock.

First, I never said the dive shop tech would 'have to eat it'. I said the shop should arrange for dive rite to replace the regulator. Why? Because scuba 1st stage regulators never, ever crack open under normal use and service. Any respectable scuba regulator manufacturer would replace a 1st stage with that damage in the absence of some obvious abuse by the owner, for example if the tank fell over with a reg attached and the damage was evident. Scubapro replaced the DIN and yoke retainers on every single MK20 they made, regardless of warranty status, because a very small number of them cracked due to service technician incompetence.

I have never had a DIN retainer come loose on a regulator. I have seen it once when a boat crew member reached into the water and pulled a tank/BC (with weights) out of the water by the regulator, which of course is a really bad idea. But in general, I'm not sure there's an existing problem with DIN or yoke retainers coming loose in normal use when serviced correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom