1st Stage failed service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tjg98

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just received a call from my dive shop that my Dive Rite RG1205 1st stage failed during a performance test. It had been serviced only 18 months prior and had 28 dives between the service and it failing. The shop called and said that it had cracks in the body. Not sure when the cracks appeared but I hadn't ever had any issues with the regulator in the time I owned it. It had been regularly serviced and had never had any concerns brought up. The shop called Dive Rite and I think I will be trading in the failed stage for the newer modern stage they offer but I haven't decided yet.

I am definitely glad it failed during the service and not during a dive.

I'm curious how often 1st stages fail during a service due to something not parts related or if anyone else has had this happen to them.

That is quite alarming! A first stage is typically solid brass, so for it to crack it would likely be a manufacturing defect or grossly negligent tool use by the service tech. Pretty shocking either way!

That does seem odd to me, but maybe there was a flaw or weakness in that model of 1st stage. Either that, or the regulator received abuse from somewhere (ex: tank fell over with regulator attached).

Numerous people on these forums roll with decades-old MK10s or MK5s and service the regs themselves. Not all regulators are built the same. For example, one of the ScubaPro regulators (Mk20? Someone here will know) where it was prone to cracking and exploding, and I think it had something to do with the part where the din or yoke adapter screws into the regulator.

That does seem odd to me, but maybe there was a flaw or weakness in that model of 1st stage. Either that, or the regulator received abuse from somewhere (ex: tank fell over with regulator attached).

Numerous people on these forums roll with decades-old MK10s or MK5s and service the regs themselves. Not all regulators are built the same. For example, one of the ScubaPro regulators (Mk20? Someone here will know) where it was prone to cracking and exploding, and I think it had something to do with the part where the din or yoke adapter screws into the regulator.

Thanks. It never had any damage when it was owned by me, might have always had the cracks and never was caught until now.

When I go in the pick up the 2nd stages I will ask more to see if it was cracked where the DIN screwed into the body or if it was else where.

I'm curious how often 1st stages fail during a service due to something not parts related or if anyone else has had this happen to them.
Unless a previous tech, using lowland gorilla expertise, scratches sealing surfaces, between knuckle-walking and chest thumping, it's damn unusual; and that cracking issue should fall on Dive Rite, since I have yet to see an example of that in any first stage, that wasn't an original fault of manufacturing . . .

I just received a call from my dive shop that my Dive Rite RG1205 1st stage failed during a performance test. It had been serviced only 18 months prior and had 28 dives between the service and it failing. The shop called and said that it had cracks in the body.

I would like to see these cracks. A born skeptic I am.

Failed a "performance test" due to "cracks in the body" sounds a bit fishey to me. They did not see the cracks upon inspection of the disassembled parts prior to reassembly and the "performance test"?

I guess it is possible but ----

I would like to see these cracks. A born skeptic I am.

Failed a "performance test" due to "cracks in the body" sounds a bit fishey to me. They did not see the cracks upon inspection of the disassembled parts prior to reassembly and the "performance test"?

I guess it is possible but ----
Agree. The whole story sounds so unlikely. I've got 4 or 5 of those first stages, and they are bulletproof. I could pound nails with them.

Agree. The whole story sounds so unlikely. I've got 4 or 5 of those first stages, and they are bulletproof. I could pound nails with them.
I have one that failed in the same way (previous owner over torqued the din connection). While uncommon, it certainly can happen.

I also own at least 5 of these 1st stages and have never had any issues over the 13 or so years since I have been diving my first sets. Which are still my 2 primary regs today.

I have no idea what a performance test would be on a 1st stage. You tear it down, clean it, put back together, pressure it up, check IP, set IP (if needed) check for creep, if none go diving. Something smells rotten with this. They would not like me when I went in, I promise.

However, I do service everything myself, so I would not have any need to go in. There is not a shop within 400 miles of me that I would trust with my regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom