1st Liveaboard trip, what to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drewdude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all, taking the next step in scuba bliss and doing my first liveaboard in Thailand in Feb 08. 4 day/3 night to the Similans. What should I bring, and what should I leave at home? I'm going to try to bring my own gear (even though what I have was not purchased with going over seas in mind). So any input from you wander-lust scuba gurus would be greatly appreciated!

thx

I'd bring Bonine or some other non-drowsy motion-sickness medication. Also, ear-plugs as some boats have bunks near the engine room.

YES for earplugs and a eye mask also

although the boat has a 1st aid kit, i always bring peroxide as im always barefoot and getting scratches. as you are traveling to a foreign country i also hit the docs up for a prescrpition for panadine forte, stuff for the upset tummy/diareahea (sp) and check that my tetnas shot is up to date

take clothing you are happy to leave behind so you dont have to cart it all the way back

powerpoint adapter for different volts if you are a camera buff that needs to recharge

cable ties - i never use tsa locks, a spare mouth piece and business cards with your email address & info on it - just to hand out to the others to swap pics

oh and your sense of humor and adventure....enjoy

edit: leave at home... half of all the clothes you will orginally pack :wink:

Very little in the way of clothes if my 3 night trip to Similans is anything to go by. You don't wear shoes on the boat, you want your togs, a pair of shorts a short sleeve tee shirt and a long sleeved warmer tee, pair of trousers and a change of underwear. Basic fit aid and a book. Full stop.

Alison

Very little in the way of clothes if my 3 night trip to Similans is anything to go by. You don't wear shoes on the boat, you want your togs, a pair of shorts a short sleeve tee shirt and a long sleeved warmer tee, pair of trousers and a change of underwear. Basic fit aid and a book. Full stop.

Alison

Ahh, glad I have family in NZ. Makes translation easier..lol. "Togs" have not heard that in awhile.

What's a TSA lock? Already have the save-a-dive kit that will go with me.

tsa locks are the US governement approved locks that they prefer you to use on your baggage so they can use master keys to open your bags while in transit... i just use cable ties and forget about it

heheheh - togs... cossies for us :wink:

tsa locks are the US governement approved locks that they prefer you to use on your baggage so they can use master keys to open your bags while in transit... i just use cable ties and forget about it

heheheh - togs... cossies for us :wink:

It's a great idea but it hasn't been working for me. Twice I've been checked, the TSA leaflet was left in the bags. One time a slider was torn away and the other time the zipper was ruptured and bound with TSA tape. Frankly I don't think they have embraced the locks. Nothing or light duty zip ties from now on.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom