1st Flower Gardens trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Cudabait

Good to hear from you. Yes I am going out of the shop here in Katy. We talked about a month or so ago in the Katy shop when you were visiting. Does the shop rent nitrox 95?

NDH:
Well I am wondering what should I expect from my first Flower Gardens trip this week. I have been diving for 4yrs now and have visited Cozumel, Roatan, Cabo and Bonaire. I am heading out on the fling thur and fri. Do they charge extra if I rent a 95 for nitrox and take it with me. Shop is telling me they charge double but what I have read and heard that is only when you bring something larger than a 100. What should I expect from the vis and is it to late in the season to see anything big? All info greatly appr.:D

What you'll get is strictly dependant upon the weather ie current & wind(waves)...we went July 18th thru 20th & left out in 4 - 8 ft. seas...had a 'good' current(3+ knots) on 2 of the dives, it comes & goes sometimes in 30 minutes......In fact, they tell you in the rig predive talk, if you miss the tag line, put up your SS & you'll be picked in about 45 minutes........hopefully the weather will cooperate a little better.....BTW, tell Angie(I think she's working the galley those dates) I said hello, she's from Leesville, La & we dove in Toledo together a few weeks ago.......It's a great trip, just be careful & listen to the crew........you can see some of my Fling pictures @ the below link, 4 of them have Flower Gardens in their title, the 5th one has Fling in it's title......good luck.......

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/GEAUXtiger/

I was on the Fling last year about this time. It was my first ocean dive and they almost cancelled the trip due to the high seas. I believe we ended up having 4-6 ft seas while we were out. I'd say 90% of the boat got sea sick. I felt sick, but never actually vomitted. I slept in the dining area for the two nights because the only bunks that were left were up front and every time I went down there I about blew. Most of my nights were spent hanging out with the great crew and Capt Blaine....I believe. He is a really nice guy.

The dives were great (remember this is coming from someone who has never dove in the ocean before). The current was bad about 15-30 feet. Be sure to bring your gloves so you can easily take the rope down if the current is up. When you come up to get on the boat be sure you commit to getting on the ladder (especially if the seas are up). Plant your feet and hang on for the ride. A few people in my group got pretty banged up on the ladder. I dove all the dives except the night dive due to me being a wimp, getting too nervous about the whole thing, and wanting to vomit all day.

Anyway, I've never wanted to stop swaying more in my life. It was great seeing part of that big aquarium we have out there despite everyone being sick, sleeping in the dining room, etc.

I didn't see anything big. We did see a stingray and a turtle, and a lot of barracudas staring at us while we were at our decompression stop. I'm not sure what the exact vis was....75-100ft? Not sure...sorry.

I was out in the Fling in 2004, it can be "fun" getting back on the boat sometimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom