1st Flower Gardens trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NDH

Reaction score
Well I am wondering what should I expect from my first Flower Gardens trip this week. I have been diving for 4yrs now and have visited Cozumel, Roatan, Cabo and Bonaire. I am heading out on the fling thur and fri. Do they charge extra if I rent a 95 for nitrox and take it with me. Shop is telling me they charge double but what I have read and heard that is only when you bring something larger than a 100. What should I expect from the vis and is it to late in the season to see anything big? All info greatly appr.:D

Well the shop is telling me that they had called and said they do but a friend of mine went two weeks ago and said they did not. I just don't want to rent a tank and be charge twice as much to fill it. Bottom time would not increase enough for the cost.

Why are you considering taking a larger tank? Do you have a poor SAC rate?

One of the boats (Spree or Fling...I can't remember which) offers free EAN as part of the deal so I can't imagine THAT boat charging extra. But maybe you're booked on the one that doesn't include it in the price.

Either boat will charge you $10 extra per tank fill for using anything over a 100 cuft tank or larger. I regularly take my steel 95 out there and do not get charged extra. Here is a trip report I wrote a while back.

Hemlon:
Why are you considering taking a larger tank? Do you have a poor SAC rate?

Just because you use a larger capacity tank does not necessarily mean you have a poor SAC rate. It might also mean you just want to spend more time in the water.....:D

Hi Hemlon

No Hemlon my sac rate is not bad just wanted to make sure I get the most out of my dives. My dive buddy this trip is one of the divemasters of the shop so a little extra would not hurt.

LVX:
Just because you use a larger capacity tank does not necessarily mean you have a poor SAC rate. It might also mean you just want to spend more time in the water.....:D

Of course it doesn't always mean that the SAC rate is poor. That's why I asked.

Asking a question is used to gather more info. It's not always used as an indictment!
:wink:

NDH:
Hi Hemlon

No Hemlon my sac rate is not bad just wanted to make sure I get the most out of my dives. My dive buddy this trip is one of the divemasters of the shop so a little extra would not hurt.

Understandable! :wink:

Ok LVX a ? for you.

Do you know anyone that rents nitrox 95 in the Houston Area? All I have is 80's

NDH:
Well I am wondering what should I expect from my first Flower Gardens trip this week. I have been diving for 4yrs now and have visited Cozumel, Roatan, Cabo and Bonaire. I am heading out on the fling thur and fri. Do they charge extra if I rent a 95 for nitrox and take it with me. Shop is telling me they charge double but what I have read and heard that is only when you bring something larger than a 100. What should I expect from the vis and is it to late in the season to see anything big? All info greatly appr.:D

I went a few week ago as a Team Leader with a group that went with the shop I teach at. Nice trip....saw two whale sharks and much more. You'll eat great on the Fling. Capts Blaine and Ken run a good boat. Take some motion meds. Might try generic meclazine in 25 dose. OTC for about $10.00 per 100. Also pull up www.gulf-diving.com. Have a good trip looking forward to your report.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom