1st drysuit experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvas

Contributor
Reaction score
after more then 8 months spending on deciding, looking for, reading, reading and more reading about drysuit, I finally got my suit last week and dove it this weekend.
Since I live in Israel, there was no option of renting/trying one, but the fact was I was cold. So first I would like to thank all the member that help and Bob. I ordered my 3mm compressed neoprene suit from Sepa (Italy), that have here in Israel LDS.
It was one of the below $1K front entry suits. They took my measurements, and within several weeks I got it.
Since nobody is diving dry here, I was lucky, that my tek buddy is also instructor, that was working in US, had DUI and some other brands suits and what is more important, experience.
He gave me some guidelines, helped me trim the latex seals, how to extract the air out of the suit before the dive, what to do if the air gets to my boots and i get upside down,....
Since SEPA forgot to send mu undergarment :confused:, it was not so bad, since the water temperature was around 21C-23C.
I will never forget the first moment when I got into water. Only my head was out, and I was feeling like inside a vacuum cleaner... like in a tight glove... I never thought that the suit will squeeze so much. Finally, after first two dives, I was controlling my buoyancy with my BCD and was able manage to put the air in my suit, not to squeeze... well, I still though don't get some points: if I am vertical, the air is coming up and the suit arond the legs are squeezing.... since there is no air, no thermal protection... so therefore, i tried to be horizontal, with my knees sligtly bent, so that below them i will still have some air in the suit.
The outlet valve is on my left shoulder and I am not sure how to control/see the air is coming out... i can't see it.... how are you guys control the air that is coming (or supposed to come) out?
My friend thinks that the suit, in spite that was custom fit, is too big, and that there is excess space in some areas (back, legs, shoulders)... i agreed with him, to wait for the undersuit, and then to try it... then i will take some pics and post it to ask what do you think... the boots are large above ancle and they are also hard to get out of the fins!!! in one of the dives, i forgot to tighten the fin straps, and when i got upside down in 3m water, my feet got out from the boots.... it was scary!
but the bottom line... when i got out of the water, watching all the shivering divers and i was dry and toasty....:D
i am just sightly concerned that the suit is too big....
do you have any pics so i can see how the suit should be around the legs??
do you mind to post it??

thanks,
sasha

PS: the only problem is how to store the suit in my appartment... i don't know where to hang it.... it is sooooo long!!??

The undergarments can take up a lot space. So some room is fine.

I have a DR 905. It is a shell suit. The suit is very large on me. It collapses quite nicely in the water.

As for air dumping. I have the dump set to its easiest setting. I wait until I have something of a bubble in my shoulders. Then I lift my left shoulder and drop the left arm a bit. If the air doesn't come out I tap the dump.

Seems to work.

One important thing is to come up slowly. In a fast ascent, the air in the BC and suit can expand really quickly and it can be difficult to dump both.

I store the suit over a door. That'll have change to change if I get married :)

Peter

i was considering ordering the dry suit book, but when i read the reviews, i realized that the book is full of history, little about maintanance and diving....

what do you think about the book?

sasha

Drysuit Diving A Guide to Diving Dry

Good book. You can get more info at http://www.divebooty.com/equipment_details.asp?pid=1427

No real "This is how to dive drive section". As you say, lots of history and other info.

One thing to know, if you manage to be in a feet first uncontrolled ascent, and you can't recover, cut a hole in the feet and flood the suit. Beats dying.

Don't use too much air. It will form a "slug" of air that will move around and screw with your trim. If it gets into the boots, it can blow off your fins and cause the above ascent difficulties.

Be sure to dive with your experienced buddy if you do not take a class. There are some gotchas.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom