1mm Wetsuit or Dive Skin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a 3MM full suit like we dive with year round in the tropics and Cozumel (we are exclusively tropic water divers), I say go with that before skins and shorties and such and if you don't have one, purchase one.

Remember, any water that is below the common body temp of 98.6 degrees is going to be drawing heat from you and your body will be compensating and generating heat to maintain internal core temp. The water temp range in Coz throughout the year is about 78 in the winter to 84 in the summer as I recall... A whole 6 degrees! What makes the biggest difference is the air temp and humidity levels you experience during the winter and summer seasons (if you could call them that) on the ride out, during the SI, and on the ride back.

I've never heard of a diver "overheating" underwater in a 3MM full suit in the summer. However, once you leave the water and get back on board you'll want to shed it as you will quickly roast in it in the summer if you leave it on. A 3MM is the best year-round suit for those who dive the tropics. In the winter, ya just add a beanie which in my opinion equates to wearing a 5MM full suit without a beanie.

I wear a 3mm custom suit when I am in Cozumel, but I get cold easy. Stay nice and toasty in the wet suit.

I wear a 3mm shorty over a dive skin. My wife tells me I have no fashion sense, but I knew that already. :D

I wear shorts over long thermal underwear, but I live in the frozen northland.

Back
Top Bottom