1k Shorty Dive Light is here....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peeling off the shrinkwrap, and the 2500ma Sanyo's fit.

I thought before anyone else is as stupid as I was, to not peel the shrink wrap. The way the cells are in the holder, they all touch and the cells short.

So unfortunately this light goes into the back up light only box, since 2100ma cells dont give me enough runtime, and running Energerizer lithiums(3000ma) are too expensive.

Its unfortunate, as this light had great possibilities as a good primary light in cases I didnt want to use my can light.

thx, I'll try a set.

Would be so much nicer to not machine them so tight.

If duck tape can't fix 'em maybe you could paint them with this:

red-insulating-varnish_zps5c3c9145.jpg

I got it at Fry's Electronics, but any electronics store should have it.

wonder how it wears, the cells rub up against each other. cant use any sort of tape, as its too thick.

Would be so much nicer to not machine them so tight.

Didn't want too much rattle.....and how much is too much to account for an odd battery. I'm surprised that the battery doesn't have a tighter spec like every other AA on the market. It seems only their one battery has a problem. Have you asked the manufacturer why their AA battery isn't standard AA battery size/spec?

You can always make something bigger to stop the rattle, but when .010in is the make or break tolerance, thats pretty tight and doesnt leave any real ability to move up to any larger capacity batteries as they come out. So you are stuck.

You can always make something bigger to stop the rattle, but when .010in is the make or break tolerance, thats pretty tight and doesnt leave any real ability to move up to any larger capacity batteries as they come out. So you are stuck.

Battery sizes are supposed to meet the IEC 60086-2 specification, that gives a diameter of 13.5 to 14.5 mm for AA. That is a huge tolerance, in practice most are 14.0 +/- 0.2mm.
I suspect whoever designed the DRIS light used what they observer as typical to keep the overall size as small as possible, rather than the extreme edge of an overly large tolerance.
Put a 13.5mm diameter battery in a 14.5mm holder and it would rattle, driving someone else nuts. Then you have to add some retainers like Intova did on their strobes and you have something else to break/loose.

Could have molded plastic stand off knobs on the cell holder to hold it in place, thus allowing room for larger batteries. Thats why I do for some stuff I machine.

Back
Top Bottom