1907 Defender Submarine found in Long Island Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just spoke to one of the dive shops who told me there are no commercial dive boats or boats that can be chartered in that area. There few that there are, are on the South shore. Then the word is the guy who found it will put restrictions on it so that other people can’t dive it, salvage rights. The only way to do this would be to be able to find the wreck and get there with a personally owned boat before you can no longer legally dive it.

Well, you can forget about this Submarine.
I doubt there will be any salvage. That guy put in a lot of effort to locate that wreck and speaking from first hand experience, I wouldn't share numbers either. If you want to dive it, then find it. Within a week of the wreck becoming public, it would be stripped.

Military wrecks are mostly protected from commercial salvage anyways.

I know the divers. They are not disclosing location or depth, just that it is below recreational limits.
I read an article yesterday that said he will disclose the exact location once he is done surveying the wreck. Is that true? Is he getting the salvage rights to this wreck? Do you have interest in diving it? Give me a call later.

I doubt there will be any salvage. That guy put in a lot of effort to locate that wreck and speaking from first hand experience, I wouldn't share numbers either. If you want to dive it, then find it. Within a week of the wreck becoming public, it would be stripped.

Military wrecks are mostly protected from commercial salvage anyways.
I don’t own a boat to find it.

He can get the salvage rights and not salvage it, as a way of keeping other divers off the wreck so that as you say it doesn’t get stripped, which is both sad and likely.

How many guys can say that they discovered a submarine, a life’s achievement in diving. Is this really a military wreck? It wasn't owned by the Navy or U.S. government, no live ordinance, not a military grave either.

Personally, I would look only and not take anything.

since it was scuttled by the Army Corp would they have left anything of value in the vessel?

Just the historical value of a sub on wheels, I hope they raise it and put it on display maybe with the nick name of Hot Pod,

Is this really a military wreck? It wasn't owned by the Navy or U.S. government, no live ordinance, not a military grave either.
It was sponsored and paid for by the government according to NavSource.

Depending on depth I would dive it just for history reasons.
Well then,
I will organize a Scubaboard Dive Trip to the Defender. I already have 2 other guys who would like to go and see it. After the location is made public, the hard part will be finding a boat that will take us there.
Any referrals for a boat Capt or privately owned boat ?

It was sponsored and paid for by the government according to NavSource.
Details, details. :cool:
We need access to a boat to take us there. I will buy a GoPro Hero 11 and housing and shoot some video for the rest of our members who can’t make the trip. It would be lots of fun. No souvenirs allowed please.
May I add rhwestfall to the boat roster ? Bring your dry suit.

Back
Top Bottom