18W Lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking to buy my first primary light
for night dives. Maybe someday might
even take a cavern course.

As a 44 year-old caver, I live by the mantra:
"One cannot have too much wattage."

Does the same apply to undewater lights?
Or is there such a thing as "too bright?"

I'm considering an 18W HID light.

The 18s are brighter, nothing quite light a big fricking lightsaber on your arm.

That said, the 10w has worked for 3 years. I used it in OW for a long time before I went the cave route.

Peter

Soggy:
I giggle uncontrollably almost every time I turn on my 18W HID. You can never have too much wattage. :)
I thought I was the only one who did that

I've been borrowing a canister light when I need one. I am planning on buying one before my Cave course in January.

Would the 21 Watt would be even better??

Tavi:
I've been borrowing a canister light when I need one. I am planning on buying one before my Cave course in January.

Would the 21 Watt would be even better??

If I had to buy a new one, I would go for the 21 watt as well. I like to buy the newest model on the market. They will soon come up with something better,smaller, brighter anyway... I don't really mind the size of the canister (they are all pretty small), but I wouldn't do any compromises on the wattage.

You might want to consider the burn time as well. Especially when you're planning to complete a cave course.

M

Can you have too much light? - IMO yes!
I made a DIY canister light with a 9AH 12v battery and I started by using a 50W 38degree dichroic bulb. I found it was too much and the angle was too wide. It was like daylight and was no use for calling the attention of other divers because even swinging it around didn't make any difference and in low viz the glare coming back was unbearable.
In the end I modified the head to take two bulbs - a 20W 38degree for general use and a 50W 8 degree for other occasional purposes.

Focus people, :eyebrow: night dives and cavern course. I would say a 10 would be quite enough. Some like lower light at night ...

See if you can dive with someone local with a 10 and 18 before you decide. Then determine the maxium burntime you will need and add 60 minutes.

Try to get the same light as the people you will be diving with. It is easier to communicate with like lights. When I go with my 10W can the other "rec" divers can barely see their own lights ...

Mark

mweitz:
Focus people, night dives and cavern course. I would say a 10 would be quite enough. Some like lower light at night ...

Eh...I think almost everyone gets 'light envy'. Once you go 18w, you'll never want anything else. I am a big proponent of buying the right stuff the first time.

Try to get the same light as the people you will be diving with. It is easier to communicate with like lights. When I go with my 10W can the other "rec" divers can barely see their own lights ...

This is a very important point. You don't want to be carrying around a 10W with 18W buddies or vice-versa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom