17yr old PLEASE HELP SEARCH - Found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speargirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We need Boats and Divers to help search for a 17year old boy who was freediving yesterday. This is a friend his name is Josh Chio
Last coordinates for Josh was N24.35.192 W81.13.763
If anyone can help that would be great.

In case someone does not know Lindsey is Johnny Longblades sister. Which past way last year also at a very young age.
So PLEASE when talking with her just remember not long ago she suffered the loss of her brother.

Josh and his friend were out freediving/ spearing he surfaced and went back down his friend jumped in but was unable to find him.
Seems it was a shallow water black out at this point. We are praying that he is found alive but this just may be a recovery only.

If you can help please call Lindsey's house please tread lightly this is her sons long time friend .
Best place to put your boat in is Sunshine Key Campground Ohio Key or Bahia Honda State Park.

Thanks Everyone.

My prayers are witih her and her family that we find her son soon.

Becky

The sheriffs and police are holding us off today so they can do a search first:( If they do not recover anything today, We can have all the boats and divers out in the morning. If you don't have a boat we can still use you as a Diver there will be tanks available for you to use. You will be diving in depths of all ranges. I am thinking you are going to be diving somewhere around Sombrero Reef and Lighthouse they were not that far from there.

Any help you can give would be great.

I will post as I hear more.

Bump.

Let's keep this on the main page of Scubaboard until there is some resolution to this matter. People with resources in the area need to spot it. Good luck Becky and to everyone who can participate in this search and rescue. A young strong brother like this has a good chance.

Sorry I am not there to help. Would love to try.

So there were just the two of them out? Best wishes...

I am so sorry about this loss Becky.

I have asked Mods to maybe remove the phone numbers from post #1, perhaps change the title and/or post a Mod note on post #1? I thouth those actions may help at this point.

I take it that there were only the two snorkelers on the boat, no one left onboard to watch, throw lines, etc?

:(
I am so sorry about this loss Becky.

I have asked Mods to maybe remove the phone numbers from post #1, perhaps change the title and/or post a Mod note on post #1? I thouth those actions may help at this point.

I take it that there were only the two snorkelers on the boat, no one left onboard to watch, throw lines, etc?

It was Josh and some of his friends Josh and his brother were the only ones in the water freediving/spearing Josh's brother came up on the boat and his brother followed saying he had speared a fish and he was caught, so he dove back down when he came up with his fish he blacked out and went under. His brother jumped back in but the viz was really bad and he could not find him. He yelled for them to call it in and they did. He kept diving down to see if he could find him but could not. It's hard to freedive and hold your breath for any amount of time when you are really upset.
These boy's went out all the time after school if they were not fishing they were freediving. I feel for the rest of the kids that were on that boat:(

***MOD POST***
Condolences have been moved to this thread in the Passings forum. Please keep all new posts to that thread aimed at wishes to friends and family.

This thread will remain and is for discussion of the incident as per the forum rules.

This was part of one of my posts that got moved...

For anyone not familiar with the term "shallow water blackout" or the risk - as I was not when I used to free dive, this site seems to explain it: Shallow Water Blackout I thot that DAN has a recent safety article about it, but I can't find it at the moment....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom