$170 1400 lumen 120 degree spill video light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Full power is ok yes! But of some animals/macro it can be to bright.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

In that case if a Sola 1200 is your video light, then having a 2nd weaker video light, say a Sola 500 or 800, might do the trick. Switch from one to another. If the low power LED flicker is not correctable, then that's an option.
Another solution that just came to mind is to use a removable diffuser in front of the light if its too bright. That may spread and soften the light enough to make it viable during close shots.

In that case if a Sola 1200 is your video light, then having a 2nd weaker video light, say a Sola 500 or 800, might do the trick. Switch from one to another. If the low power LED flicker is not correctable, then that's an option.
Another solution that just came to mind is to use a removable diffuser in front of the light if its too bright. That may spread and soften the light enough to make it viable during close shots.

Tought this was an archon thread..(?)

The diffuser part isn't to bad tho!

Tought this was an archon thread..(?)

The diffuser part isn't to bad tho!

Oh yeah right, you have Archons. You could also get a D11V like mine, it's true lumen output is closer to 600. They are less that $60. Or go with the diffuser.

Maybe something like this rigged to attach to your light: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMITH-VICTO...=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item4176a47ac5

Or the clear diffuser piece of this set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Clear-U...=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item35c0eb7026

I get the response and was told they could send user the circuit board, but the respond didn't say at what cost, or how or who to order from, nor will there be instruction about replacing it. (I asked those in the follow up email, will see what happen when I wake up after tonight.)

The communication seems to get dragging now as she now ask me for the production date of the light that's printed (didn't say where, like on the light? in the battery compartment? or there is a paper work? I certainly can't find any code except for "Archon D32vr" on the light) She also asked me where I bought the light from, which luckily I have the link saved up and it's from a China version of ebay store.

She mention something about finding the seller and provide me the after sales support. So I don't have high hope, because if you buy something from say, ebay, it's defective, 4 months later do you expect the seller in ebay will take your light back and work with the manufacturer to get it fix, while the buyer is half world away?

I get the response and was told they could send user the circuit board, but the respond didn't say at what cost, or how or who to order from, nor will there be instruction about replacing it. (I asked those in the follow up email, will see what happen when I wake up after tonight.)

The communication seems to get dragging now as she now ask me for the production date of the light that's printed (didn't say where, like on the light? in the battery compartment? or there is a paper work? I certainly can't find any code except for "Archon D32vr" on the light) She also asked me where I bought the light from, which luckily I have the link saved up and it's from a China version of ebay store.

She mention something about finding the seller and provide me the after sales support. So I don't have high hope, because if you buy something from say, ebay, it's defective, 4 months later do you expect the seller in ebay will take your light back and work with the manufacturer to get it fix, while the buyer is half world away?
I kinda expected this could happen going into a purchase of Chinese lights. I did save a lot money but it's a gamble. So far my lights have been more than satisfactory IMO. Hope it stays that way.

Seem a great light

Also used mine for still photos

Attachments

• GOPR0011.jpg
    GOPR0011.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 153
  • GOPR0009.jpg
    GOPR0009.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 137
Well, I guess I could be lucky. I bought it from the China auction site "Taobao" and the Xiware support person recognize the seller as one of her colleague's client so she will be the after sale support for me (Don't know what would happen to those buy from Aliexpress). She said she normally wouldn't send the circuit board out but she can do it for me for free and explain it to her manager. She will take a video of how to replace it.

I'm not good at these stuff so I'm tempted to send my light to her and get it fix, tested etc. instead of me risking screw it it up further. Will see what happen. Oh, she also sent me a picture of the light with S/N printed on the light. Mine doesn't have it so it could be a change from the new production.

Yes it's a good light and most of the time 1400lumen is what I would use. But during night dive the 1400lumen wouldn't last for a whole dive (55+ minute) on high so it would be nice to have a 800 lumen setting as backup setting. And no, I wouldn't pay for the price tag of a SOLA!

Last month I bought the new Fantasea Blueray Radiant video light, which they claim is 1600 lumens with 50% and 30% settings. It's at least equivalent to my Sola 1200, it has better battery life, it uses replaceable 18650 batteries, and it can be had for only $200 at Leisurepro/Adorama. It's probably the best bang for the buck on the market right now.

Back
Top Bottom