$170 1400 lumen 120 degree spill video light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PROBLEM, seems to have developed in both lights. Soon after screwing down cap to turn on, light starts to "Strobe" not flicker but rapid off/on in a strobe effect and then after a while goes to dim, not fully off but at less than the low setting. Some times, cycling through the three modes will restore the function for a while but it always begins the strobe thing again after some time, not consistent amount of time but random. Wonder if it is a crack or loose connection in circuit board. Any ideas?

PROBLEM, seems to have developed in both lights. Soon after screwing down cap to turn on, light starts to "Strobe" not flicker but rapid off/on in a strobe effect and then after a while goes to dim, not fully off but at less than the low setting. Some times, cycling through the three modes will restore the function for a while but it always begins the strobe thing again after some time, not consistent amount of time but random. Wonder if it is a crack or loose connection in circuit board. Any ideas?

Maybe SOLVED

New Li Ion Trustfire batteries and problem went away. Also tried a somewhat discharged battery that was causing the problem in another light (less draw that D32VR) and it started the flashing, charged it up and it didn't, so conclusion is that batteries are the problem. Must be getting weak and can't supply voltage in a high draw situation. Somewhere I think I read that the battery protection circuit indicates a low voltage state by the flashing and then going into low light output (I guess so you could see a little if it was at night)

Also noticed the new Trustfire batteries looked a little different on + end Hopefully improved and can take more recycles

These lights are sweet when working

Would also recomend to you to buy a different brand of batteries as trustfire and pretty much any brand whose name ends with fire are notorious for being crap batteries

Would also recomend to you to buy a different brand of batteries as trustfire and pretty much any brand whose name ends with fire are notorious for being crap batteries

Thanks, any suggestions for batteries and sources.

The Trustfires I had did 6 months of weekly use and finally went south after an 8 months storage without charging. Really can't complain. Have seen many reports of counterfeit Trustfire batteries and used being sold as new.

Last edited:
Thanks, any suggestions for batteries and sources.

The Trustfires I had did 6 months of weekly use and finally went south after an 8 months storage without charging. Really can't complain. Have seen many reports of counterfeit Trustfire batteries and used being sold as new.

I've had good results with Tenergy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JOPVZC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I haven't used them as hard as you though.

If your willing to spend more I hear these batteries are excellent: Xtar 3400 mah Li-Ion battery

I braught the W40VR with me to Indonesia in Sept. Fanastic light with a broad field of light. I can light the way for 3 divers using the highest white light during night dive. Red & Purple lights are interesting too. The UV light is too dim, may be for close up?

After about 20 dives with it, the switch for the white light began to have problems. It still works but jams a bit instead of the smooth push on/off action. I'm not sure if it contributed briefly to the light failing temporarily during our sunset dive that got dark. It's being sent back to the supplier.

High output of the W40 gives about 60 minutes of time.

Well, after my new W40VR flooded on its first dive earlier this year, I received a new W40VR from the supplier who was very good to deal with. It looked like an upgraded model. Took it with me recently to Maui where it performed flawlessly. I had it to about 80 feet on 2 dives only, so cannot report on long term use. But I am back to the Philippines in Feb where it will be my main light for hopefully ~40 dives. I'll report again then.

Returned in March from a 40 dive trip to Philippines. The w40vr came with me on every dive and performed great. The magnetic switches would occasionally become sticky underwater, however this was from sand/sediment and could easily be cleaned out.

New batteries:
[h=1]2PC Newly Designed 32650 Battery ARCHON Rechargeable Li-ion 32650 5500mAh 3.7v Protected Battery (Explosion-proof battery ) 2PC Newly Designed 32650 Battery ARCHON Rechargeable Li ion 32650 5500mAh 3.7v Protected Battery (Explosion proof battery )-in Rechargeable Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group[/h]In test,seemed to be working well, no cutout or down switch. One problem in D32VR lights, the batteries are wrapped in plastic wrap and won't fit - took off wrap, still wouldn't fit well, then removed labels and then fit but a little tight. Maybe it's the 5500 instead of 6000 that's the problem, the discharge rate is overheating the protection circuitry, hummmm, I wonder

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom