149cf Faber Steel Tank, yay or nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itch808

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, so I'm in the market for another tank (as seen from my other thread). I really was considering just buying a cheapo AL80 since I dive in warm waters, I only wear 3mm of neoprene. BUT, I spotted a 149cf Steel Faber on craigslist locally:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/spo/271573794.html

I've never dove with doubles nor anything this large before, are there any downsides that I'm probably not seeing? To add to that, I don't think I've EVER seen anyone diving such a large tank. The extra air seems like a blessing, but at the same time I'm not Nitrox-cert'd yet so I figure I may be pushing the limits of the tables depending on depth. I did a quick search and found the tank selling for $430 online, so I'm guessing $300 isn't a bad price for such a new tank. Thoughts?

Well, since you say in your profile that you like weight lifting... That tank, when full, weighs about 60 lbs.

FX149DVB 3442
wt: 46.9lbs not including valve
Does that $300 include the crane to lift it?

bouyancy -9.41 full to +2.35 empty

I'd think long and hard before getting a tank that big.

I looked up the specs here: http://www.techdivinglimited.com/pub/tanks.html

It appears to be a rather large and heavy tank, it weighs empty about 15lbs more than an aluminum 80. If you are large and in good shape you can probably handle the additional tank weight. However the buoyancy characteristics of the tank maybe a bit troublesome, you are going to have a 12lb swing in buoyancy because of the air. So you may be overweighted at the beginning of the dive, if something should happen it may be very difficult to swim up from depth.

Hmmm... didn't PST "promise" something like this a few years ago. I didn't realize Faber had already produced one. Hmmm... my HP120 tank weights about 50 pounds full. With this monster I could shave off a few more pounds of weight and... dare I say it... rule the (underwater) world! I could dive forever, or at least only need a fill once a day.

It is pretty tall. Is there any chance you could rent or borrow one before you buy?

Have you ever heard of a term called "Walking your dive"?
That's a huge tank to dive, I once made a similiar mistake, I almost bought a Beuchat 120 lucky for me I had the chance to dive it before I was to buy it, Thank god I didn't it was a beast, I literally had to walk (well almost) the whole dive I was so over-weighted.

60lbs doesn't sound too bad to me, but man-o-man, a 12lb swing is crazy! I think that's more than an AL80. I'm not sure how the height/weight of the tank will effect my trim. I'm 6'1" and usually put a AL80 about as low as possible in my BC.

Don Burke:
It is pretty tall. Is there any chance you could rent or borrow one before you buy?

I wish I could, every shop I've ever been to here never even rented steel tanks let alone a 149cf big boy.

From everyone's responses it seems a bit of an excessive tank, I guess a 100 sounds more reasonable. But the bottom times possible though seem like a dream...:monkeydan

I've not dove one but I'd consider a set of them. I am guessing this is the HP equivalent of an LP 121. (similare to the 104/130 set).

As for bouyancy swing, its going to be a lot like a set of double AL 80's. Well, and in a wetsuit, the AL 80's are likely more comfortable etc for the same gas. I really doubt you'd like it in a single tank. Why not look for a LP85, HP100 or so. You could see some real benefit in wieght shift/drop going to a steel tank and get a bit more air without going too excessive on capacity

divemaster_jim:
Have you ever heard of a term called "Walking your dive"?
That's a huge tank to dive, I once made a similiar mistake, I almost bought a Beuchat 120 lucky for me I had the chance to dive it before I was to buy it, Thank god I didn't it was a beast, I literally had to walk (well almost) the whole dive I was so over-weighted.

Good point...thanks for knocking some sense into me. :)

Back
Top Bottom