14' Achilles Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tribaltim

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the Achilles Dive Boat? I am going to look at one for sale here on Okinawa Monday I was just trying to get some more information on them before I looked at this one.

Also I'm not that familiar with boats and engines this boat is being sold with a 25hp Suzuki outboard motor does anyone know how well this will push this particular boat? I guess what I'm asking is how fast will it go with that size engine? Thanks for all your help..........

Tim

this is one of the best inflatables you can buy i am told , as i have been doing a lot of checking into them as i to am buy one soon, i also have to friends one an instructor that have the achillies boats and love them, i also being out on them several times am very impressed with the solid perfomance of the stability and so forth, great boat, also on the engine, one is using a merc 25 horse and it pushes that boat with no question, the other has a 40 horse yamaha that breaks down on a reguler bases lol, it is just THAT MOTOR for some reson, i believe that both of the boats that i am refering to are also 14-16 footers, if the price is good, in my opinion you cant go wrong, good luck and i hope this gives you a little insite, forgive my horrible spelling lol:D

Before the Novurana I own now I owned an Achillies. In some ways I liked it better. It was high quality and I liked the inflatable keel vs the wooden keel I have now. Mine had an aluminum floor as well. I ran a 25 horse Merc on it. Sometimes I wish I still had it instead of my Novurana. It is a bigger boat, my Achillies was about 12.5 feet and the Novurana I have is around 14 feet. Both are great dive boats--within limits. If your launching from a beach be sure to purchase a "landing gear" kit which is simply a flip up set of wheels mounted on the transom that allow the boat to be rolled to the water and then flip them up--or remove them as you see fit.
N

Wow thanks for the quick reply guys. Sounds like I'm going to buy a boat on Monday if it's in good shape. I think the price is a steal he's asking $2250 w/trailor and the 25hp Suzuki motor. The guy is retired Air Force and said he has keep it in storage so I'm thinking it should be in pretty good shape is their anything in particular I should be looking for when I take a look at the boat?

Find out what year it is. Avoid anything over 8-10 years old. If it has been stored outside on the trailer find out if it has been covered to protect from UV light. Carefully check the area around the transom to check for seams becoming separated. I had an 87 model Archilles that is still running but is now finally falling apart. It is abount 15 feet long and has a 70 HP jet drive on it that was used in a whitewater area and has taken some hard licks. I also have been through two Zodiacs, one an F 470 spec war boat and one a Fastroller. They are history due to being stored outside but the Archilles has held up twice as long.. The hypalon boats are all tough boats.

tribaltim:
Wow thanks for the quick reply guys. Sounds like I'm going to buy a boat on Monday if it's in good shape. I think the price is a steal he's asking $2250 w/trailor and the 25hp Suzuki motor. The guy is retired Air Force and said he has keep it in storage so I'm thinking it should be in pretty good shape is their anything in particular I should be looking for when I take a look at the boat?
oh !!! i forgot to mention, glad you asked, yes there are these othere things too , a friend that owns a dive charter boat told me to take the boat right away, even before you buy it if you can, take to a boat shop and have not only the seams checked but even as important are the inner chambers to be sure they 3 i think are all in good shape, rick told me that they can colapse or seperate and that is very important as far as safty and stability, if one is torn or calapsed it is very expensive to repair so have those checked carefully, if this boat is in good shape, you are getting a good deal at that price, in my opinion!!! good luck friend !! jim ernst

Thanks Jim really appreciate the information I'll make sure I get everthing checked out so I know I'm not getting hosed or anything.

I had an Achilles 12 1/2' inflatable with the same outboard. With flat seas I could get up to 22 mph. With two divers, four tanks, two sets of gear, cooler and a ten gallon gas tank I averaged 15-18 mph. I took it across the channel to Catalina Island, about 23 miles on at least 25 occasions without trouble. I always took a handheld VHF and GPS in a Pelican case.

Sounds awsome guys thanks again for all the input. Everyone has been overly helpfull and I hope the boat looks great because now I'm all excited about getting it......

james croft:
Find out what year it is. Avoid anything over 8-10 years old. If it has been stored outside on the trailer find out if it has been covered to protect from UV light. Carefully check the area around the transom to check for seams becoming separated. I had an 87 model Archilles that is still running but is now finally falling apart. It is abount 15 feet long and has a 70 HP jet drive on it that was used in a whitewater area and has taken some hard licks. I also have been through two Zodiacs, one an F 470 spec war boat and one a Fastroller. They are history due to being stored outside but the Archilles has held up twice as long.. The hypalon boats are all tough boats.

You have a 70 hp jet drive on your 15' boat. Man I don't know what this is but it sounds kick *** and super fast.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom