13" tires on a Corvette OR what's up with those twirpy Atomic mouthpieces ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
......so I'm installing some new BLACK SeaCures on a couple of Atomic regs today (B1 mostly converted into an M1.....and a T2)....and I was reminded of the contrast between the whole point of owning high-performance regs, in contrast to the OEM mouthpieces......very small gas-passage mouthpiece orfices....relative to the gas flow capacity of the larger bore Seacures. I can't help but think the OEM mouthpieces are kinda like puttin' 13" tires on a Corvette......

If you really feel that way, you better be diving regs with 1/2" LP hoses :rolleyes:

...well, it's my understanding that regs are tested on the 'machine' without mouthpieces at all on them......so it seems a little misleading to quote performance stats WITHOUT mouthpieces...but actually be diving, in the real world, WITH mouthpieces...especially with OEM mouthpieces whose orfices have about half the cross-sectional area of say, a High-Flow Seacure.......just can't but think that logically, there has to be an impact.......

...nothing against my Atomics...they're great regs...I'm just doin' what I can to make sure they are as 'great' as possible !

...well, it's my understanding that regs are tested on the 'machine' without mouthpieces at all on them......so it seems a little misleading to quote performance stats WITHOUT mouthpieces...but actually be diving, in the real world, WITH mouthpieces...especially with OEM mouthpieces whose orfices have about half the cross-sectional area of say, a High-Flow Seacure.......just can't but think that logically, there has to be an impact.......

...nothing against my Atomics...they're great regs...I'm just doin' what I can to make sure they are as 'great' as possible !

The Atomic will deliver more air than you could possibly "overbreath" with any mouthpiece on it. Switch to Seacure mouthpiece if you want to for comfort purposes (personally I don't get the "Seacure" thing) but I wouldn't worry about it otherwise.

PS - In fact I switched my AL Legend regs to Atomic mouthpieces as they are so much more comfortable.

The Atomic will deliver more air than you could possibly "overbreath" with any mouthpiece on it. Switch to Seacure mouthpiece if you want to for comfort purposes (personally I don't get the "Seacure" thing) but I wouldn't worry about it otherwise.

Exactly.

PS - In fact I switched my AL Legend regs to Atomic mouthpieces as they are so much more comfortable.

This one?
I've always been a fan of the Aqualung Com-fo-bite mouthpiece. What makes the Atomic better??

Exactly.

This one:

mouthpiece_C.jpg

I've always been a fan of the Aqualung Com-fo-bite mouthpiece. What makes the Atomic better??

Yup.

It's just more comfortable to me. Plus, I'm a bit of a "biter" on my mouthpieces, and I find the thicker bitewings on the Atomic are more resilient.

...I'm not 'against' either the OEM Atomic or the Comfobite mouthpieces (I've got a few of each in my surplus parts/save-a-dive kits) ...and have 'saved' a few fellow divers dives by loaning/donating those out...and if they work for ya...it's all good....not arguing the comfort angle, as that's a personal choice....but I still don't see why Atomic can't enlarge the cross section of their OEM mouthpieces to help take advantage of their much vaunted high-performance ?

It's just not important. The dynamics have the gas passing through smaller "pipes" for the entire flow route *until* it reaches the mouth piece. Much the same as the 1/2" hose provides no performance improvement over the 3/8ths" hose.

Last edited:
It's just not important. The dynamics have the gas passing through smaller "pipes" for the entire flow route *until* it reaches the mouth piece. Much the same as the 1/2" hose provides no performance improve over the 3/8ths" hose.

....but also remember, the WOB has both an inhalation and an exhalation cycle....so the "pipes" theory doesn't apply at all on the exhalation side of the equation.

....but also remember, the WOB has both an inhalation and an exhalation cycle....so the "pipes" theory doesn't apply at all on the exhalation side of the equation.

It just ain't a problem in practicality.

Back
Top Bottom