Atomic B2 or the M1????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talon

Contributor
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to dive the Atomic B2 this last weekend down in the Key's (Thanks GARY!!!!). Now from what I have been told, I would NOT notice a "breathing" difference between the two (M1 and B2). And I just loved the B2. I put that thing through just about every test and position I could think of and it handled it beautifully! I could hang in any position; whether that is on my back or upside down, and not tell any difference. Even in a ripping current I had no sign of free flow or difference in effort of breathing. And I still say my favorite thing may have been the dang mouthpiece :wink: Man, it was comfortable. And I liked the swivel on the first stage and hose. I didn’t feel any resistance when I turned my head left/right or up/down.

My only negative with the reg was my SAC rate. It shot up!!! My SAC rate normally hangs around .35 to .4 and it shot up to over .5 with this reg. I will say that I had been doing some deep diving in heavy currents most of the weekend. I’m sure part of it can be attributed to being a little tired. But it still meant I sucked down almost an extra 500 PSI on my last dive. No way do I want to spend this kind of money on a reg and take a huge hit on my sac rate. So my first question is this: Is that normal to experience a short term increase in air consumption when you switch over to a high performance regulator??? This is a make or break deal for me.

Also, if I do go with an Atomic regulator should I just go ahead and get the M1? With price being equal, can I get some suggestions on which direction to go? As for what type of diving I do – mostly within recreational limits. Although I do several times a year go beyond recreational limits. But nothing to extreme at this point. Deepest I’ve been is about 150. Although, I’ve got a dive to 170 scheduled for next year. That will be my max until I get my Tri Mix cert. With that said, yes I do plan on moving towards Tri-mix and extended range. But I am still sometime away from that (I’m having too much fun where I am at now). All of my diving is in warm water. Mid 60’s is about as cold as I could see myself in. Ice diving and diving the wrecks in Michigan just don’t interest me :babycrawl Although I do LOVE diving wrecks and do penetrate. Cave’s – VERY LIMITED. I’ll peak my head in and swim a little bit – but going 2000 feet in just doesn’t do anything for me personally. I never see any sharks or Jew fish in there :fish: hehehehe

Here are some of my initial thoughts and questions between the two:

a) Any difference in the exhaust tree? If so, what? I didn’t have any problems with bubbles on the B2.
b) Environmental seal. I understand only the M1 has it. But isn’t that only for ice diving??? Would it be of any benefit to me?
c) Does the M1 have the swivel hose? Not a major selling point, but I did like it.
d) O2 readiness. Sounds like the M1 can handle up to 80% out of the box. This may be the reason for me to upgrade. Although, I could see where the M1 would be on my travel gas and I would have a separate regulator on my deco bottle. Although, I guess you could put a M1 on both. Just need a lot of money :11:
e) Both second stages are made from Titanium, but the first stages use different metals. Why should I care?
f) Service. I understand both use a 2 year cycle for service? But is there any additional cost on the M1 because of the environmental seal?

What is everyone else’s option and experiences????

And last but not least – good place to purchase??? This is a lot of money and as such, I’m looking to get the best deal I can on this purchase. I’m not interested in going the LP route. But I don’t have a problem with buying over the Internet as long as I get a full manufacture warranty.

Michael

The regs are going to breath the same... It's really a question if you want the environmental seal, and fins, over the swivel. Sealing the reg when servicing is a pain - and you get to buy the lube each year on top of your service.

And I also like the swivel that the B2 has... So it's really a question you have to answer, if you need the cold and material of the M1... if not, go with the comfort of the B2.

Overall, we sell B2 about 10 to 1 over M1s.

edit: Oh, and the Sac rate... that should take care of itself over time... an easier breathing reg should actually lower the Sac rate - might just take a few dives for you to learn to relax the breathing with something that delivers air that easily.

I thought the B2 had an environmental seal as standard...I know its available.

hey Larry, you don't list the atomics on your web page? didn't know you sold them!!

M1 and B2 are the same reg...only difference is alloy. M1 made out of Manel (sp) for higher O2 mixes, the B2 made from Brass. The environmental kit standard on M1 and option on the B2.
Swivel can be added to M1 for approx $80. Unless your diving High O2, go with the B2. Its 50 dollars cheaper and has the swivel in place.

I dive with the B2. Great Reg. Good Luck with your choice.

Brian

Larry - what is the fin you mention on the M1?

And thanks for the response!

a) Any difference in the exhaust tree? If so, what? I didn’t have any problems with bubbles on the B2.
The exhaust is the same.

b) Environmental seal. I understand only the M1 has it. But isn’t that only for ice diving??? Would it be of any benefit to me?
It is recommended for cold water diving, but could also help out in very silty diving situations, but isn't necessary.

c) Does the M1 have the swivel hose? Not a major selling point, but I did like it.
No,it doesn't have the swivel but it can be added. You will have to give up the heat-sink fins that stop the 2nd stage from icing up in cold water though.

d) O2 readiness. Sounds like the M1 can handle up to 80% out of the box. This may be the reason for me to upgrade. Although, I could see where the M1 would be on my travel gas and I would have a separate regulator on my deco bottle. Although, I guess you could put a M1 on both. Just need a lot of money :11:
Yes, money helps. The other benefit is that the M1 may be switched back and forth between Nitrox (up to 50%) and air without cleaning, according to the factory. Of course most people switch their regs back and forth between 32%-36% Nitrox and air and don't blow up, so you make the call on that one.

e) Both second stages are made from Titanium, but the first stages use different metals. Why should I care?
Monel (M1) and brass (B2). Monel is why the M1 handles Nitrox better.

f) Service. I understand both use a 2 year cycle for service? But is there any additional cost on the M1 because of the environmental seal?
Yes, Crysto-lube will add to the cost. You are buying a $600-$800 regulator depanding on dealer pricing, you should be able to cover it; I hope.

What is everyone else’s option and experiences???
I have an M1 and my wife has a B2. They are great. You can't make a bad choice. Just pick the one that fits the type of diving you are doing and will be doing years from now since either of these regs are going to last for a long time.

And last but not least – good place to purchase??? This is a lot of money and as such, I’m looking to get the best deal I can on this purchase. I’m not interested in going the LP route. But I don’t have a problem with buying over the Internet as long as I get a full manufacture warranty.
Scuba Toys. Good price, full warranty, fast shipping, great service.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Talon:
Larry - what is the fin you mention on the M1?

And thanks for the response!

Here's a picture of the M1 and I've drawn an arrow pointing to the anti-freeze fins on the second stage... right where the hose meets the reg - right where the swivel would be on the B2.

I have both and love them. I use the M1 1st/2nd with an M1 octo in cold water, and also for local dives with my law enforcement department's dive team. At times the water is full of sediment (and God only knows what else) so I like the fact that the first stage is sealed from all of the gunk.

I also have a B2 with an SS1 Titanium octo/inflator as a back-up (and for travel on warm water vacations). If you use a "combo octo/inflator", the swivel on the B2 second stage is nice to have when you donate your primary (or have it ripped from your mouth) during out of air problems.

I may just be me, but it seams the B2 breathes a little better than the M1 deep. The enviromental seal (and Christolube) may have a slight effect on the intermediate pressure. Both are well made and work great. You can't go wrong with either. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom