12litres 300hp Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi guys, I'd like to have your opinion on the following:
I want to buy my 1st double tank and at the shop they have 12liter steel (not galvanized but painted) 300hp tank at a very good price. So the question is do you advice it as a double tank in term of boyancy comfort etc or should I go for an Al tank?

forgot to mention that is $300 each against $600 for 12Liter 300hp Al tank

What are you waiting for? Do your own research.

Valery,

I'm not sure on the precise details but AFAIK it's difficult to get a full fill on a 300bar cylinder.
You may not be able to find shops with compressors that can pump to 300 bar.

Second, will your existing regs fit the cylinder?.

I can't remember precisely but I think A clamp does not support 300 bar and DIN fittings are slightly different for 300 bar ie with a normal DIN reg you have 5 threads but with 300 bar you need 7.

You might want to check that out with the shop?

My only opinion is that I would not own a steel tank that is not galvanized even if someone was giving them to me.

Actually my LDS has tried to give me a couple of painted tanks for free and I did not take them. They needed hydro, but I am sure they would have passed... I just don't want to deal with rust. Cold galvanizing paint works well, but I am not looking for another project.

This is just my opinion based on past experience and I mostly dive salt water/ ocean.

Note: I own about 20 galvanized tanks.

Why would you want 300 horse power tanks?

Hahaha sorry I meant Bar.

Valery,

I'm not sure on the precise details but AFAIK it's difficult to get a full fill on a 300bar cylinder.
You may not be able to find shops with compressors that can pump to 300 bar.

Second, will your existing regs fit the cylinder?.

I can't remember precisely but I think A clamp does not support 300 bar and DIN fittings are slightly different for 300 bar ie with a normal DIN reg you have 5 threads but with 300 bar you need 7.

You might want to check that out with the shop?

Where I dive they can fill a 300bar tank or let's say they got up to 280b but I didn't think about the 5/7 threads thing.

My only opinion is that I would not own a steel tank that is not galvanized even if someone was giving them to me.

Actually my LDS has tried to give me a couple of painted tanks for free and I did not take them. They needed hydro, but I am sure they would have passed... I just don't want to deal with rust. Cold galvanizing paint works well, but I am not looking for another project.

This is just my opinion based on past experience and I mostly dive salt water/ ocean.

Note: I own about 20 galvanized tanks.

Rust is realy a problem? Even if it's painted? I have a 16L press steel galvanized tank and from what I've understood the inside of the tank is not galvanixed. 1 is galvanized the other is painted does that make them equal?

In Europe we dive almoste exlusively steel tanks due they are much cheaper and long living than aluminium tanks.
I would NOT buy steel tanks they where not galvanized because the will rust sooner or later. When you scratch the galvanized tanks you can repaint it with zinc paint and they are fine, if you don't scratch them they will be "eternal". Not galvanized tanks wil rust much more quicker due water and humidity creeps under the paint and will start to rust.
Usually the rust also under the rubber boot because of the movement and bad ventilation there.
The inside is not galvanized because of health issues. The zinc applied during the galvanizazion process is VERY unhealty!
Hot-dip galvanizing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In Europe we dive doubles with aluminum cylinders because of weight issues and the scratch proof material (especially for cave diving).

The short and fat 12 liter steel tanks are very nice to dive due they load their weight on your upper back modifying your trim to a more horizontal level. If you need ankle weights because you have "light" feet steel tanks may be contraindicated.

Chris

In Europe we dive almoste exlusively steel tanks due they are much cheaper and long living than aluminium tanks.
I would NOT buy steel tanks they where not galvanized because the will rust sooner or later. When you scratch the galvanized tanks you can repaint it with zinc paint and they are fine, if you don't scratch them they will be "eternal". Not galvanized tanks wil rust much more quicker due water and humidity creeps under the paint and will start to rust.
Usually the rust also under the rubber boot because of the movement and bad ventilation there.
The inside is not galvanized because of health issues. The zinc applied during the galvanizazion process is VERY unhealty!
Hot-dip galvanizing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In Europe we dive doubles with aluminum cylinders because of weight issues and the scratch proof material (especially for cave diving).

The short and fat 12 liter steel tanks are very nice to dive due they load their weight on your upper back modifying your trim to a more horizontal level. If you need ankle weights because you have "light" feet steel tanks may be contraindicated.

Chris

Thanks, very interresting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom