12 volt adapter for charging batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although both power cables have 5V output, the amperage output is different - DC500 output is 3 amps and the DC800 2amps.

I believe that you are talking about the output of the 110v charger, because I think the output of the 12v charger is even lower than either of the 110v units.

Actually, a lower amperage just means that the charger will charge the battery SLOWER! The danger of using a higher output charger is that it "might??" overheat the battery, resulting in shorter life. Actually, slower is better for maximizing battery life/performance.

I really am not trying to be hard on you or SeaLife - I think the products offer great value and your Technical Service and Customer Service are first rate. I just have a problem when ANYONE makes statements/claims that go against basic science/engineering (you are now playing in MY sandbox :D:D ). I I really do appreciate your willingness to help answer questions from people on this forum.

I believe that you are talking about the output of the 110v charger, because I think the output of the 12v charger is even lower than either of the 110v units.

Actually, a lower amperage just means that the charger will charge the battery SLOWER! The danger of using a higher output charger is that it "might??" overheat the battery, resulting in shorter life. Actually, slower is better for maximizing battery life/performance.

I really am not trying to be hard on you or SeaLife - I think the products offer great value and your Technical Service and Customer Service are first rate. I just have a problem when ANYONE makes statements/claims that go against basic science/engineering (you are now playing in MY sandbox :D:D ). I I really do appreciate your willingness to help answer questions from people on this forum.
TN Traveler, it has been years since I studied this stuff (was going to be an EE but computers came out and sidetracked me) but from what I recall the current draw to the battery from either charger will be the same given the voltage is the same. The current is determined by the resistance. It is the basic ohms law formula. I = E/R. So the current that will be drawn should be the same for either charger. The problem is using a lower rated charger on a higher capacity battery could cause the charger to over heat.
In some designs the battery will have a lower resistance and therefore will draw any additional amps offered, this too can be dangerous with a charger that is too large as it will allow the higher amperage and cause the battery to over heat.
Even if the battery does not heat sufficiently to start a fire, rechargeable battery life is often shortened by the heating of the charging process as critical moisture is vented due to the expansion. Not knowing more about his this design works, it would be hard to say if it is a good idea or not.
As I said, it has been over 35 years since I studied this stuff so my info may be stale... But, isn't Ohms law still the prevailing law for DC at least?.

If a charger is rated for 2 amps - that is all it will deliver - this is all controlled by the solid state electronics in the charger. You cannot damage the charger by putting on a battery that will take a higher charging rate.

Think about the various battery chargers you can buy for your car/boat battery. Many have multiple amp ratings - 2 amp trickle charge, 10 amp fast charge - some with even 15-20 amp charge rates. All will charge your battery - lower amp units just do it slower. What happens if you use a high rate charger on a battery not designed for that rate - it gets hot and you shorten the life (maybe). Chargers ramp down the charge rate as the battery voltage increases - that is how they are designed. If they did not do this then you would have to stop the charge after a fixed period of time or you would overcharge the battery and burn it up.

Sorry, you are correct. :)

DC500 = 5V, 3.0 amp
DC600 = 5V, 0.6 amp
DC800 = 5V, 2.0 amp
12V DC power cable = 5V (+/- 0.5V), 0.6amps

The 12V travel charger will work with the DC500, DC600 and DC800 cameras. The charging time will take longer with the 12V power cable when compared to the 110V power cable.

You really have my admiration - you dig into problems and although sometimes it takes a couple of tries - you do get it right. And you are willing to make corrections when appropriate - a very admirable trait.

You are a great asset to SeaLife.

Sorry I'm an ornry old cuss, sometimes

Thanks for the info. I think that I like the idea of the 1200 mAh battery the best. That way I,m not haveing to open my housing. My only concern is: I have heard that there have been some issues with heat from the battery. Would this higher capacity battery generate more heat? Has anyone had a problem?

Problem with heat will be during charging - especially if you use a higher rate charger. Heat generated during use will be the same with any battery since it is based upon power used - which should be constant for any battery since it is based upon camera design.

I have never used the 1200 mah battery - but I have used the 1000 mah and it was a tighter fit than the 650/750/900s that I have used, but still usable. If the 1200 is any thicker, you may have a problem. It is possible that there is more room in the battery compartment of the Minolta cameras than there is in the SeaLife - so they handle the 1200 where the SeaLife won't.

Before ordering one, I would check the DandyDon and see if the one her ordered fit OK.

Problem with heat will be during charging - especially if you use a higher rate charger. Heat generated during use will be the same with any battery since it is based upon power used - which should be constant for any battery since it is based upon camera design.

I have never used the 1200 mah battery - but I have used the 1000 mah and it was a tighter fit than the 650/750/900s that I have used, but still usable. If the 1200 is any thicker, you may have a problem. It is possible that there is more room in the battery compartment of the Minolta cameras than there is in the SeaLife - so they handle the 1200 where the SeaLife won't.

Before ordering one, I would check the DandyDon and see if the one her ordered fit OK.
It should be in today. We'll see how it fits.

Yeah, heat during use comes from the flash. I had that happen during exciting Cenote dives, then the next day as an Eagle Ray put on a show circling to dive into the sand repeatedly as we lay there watching and shooting. Created housing lens fogging.

It arrived. :cheering: This battery works very well, increasing my mAh power in my scuba camera from 650 to 1200. It is a slightly snug fit only because of the seams I think but goes in and out with only slight pressure. Powers the camera well, got it taking a full charge now.

Get one like it for $6+$3=$9 1200mh BATTERY FOR MINOLTA KONICA NP-900 NP900 BENQ E53 - eBay (item 380047734594 end time Jul-25-08 11:24:34 PDT)

Or two for $13+$4=$17 2 BATTERY FOR MINOLTA KONICA DiMAGE NP-900 NP900 1200mh - eBay (item 280248862822 end time Jul-29-08 07:38:39 PDT)

Or if those links expires, here is the store; search for NP-900: eBay Store - Baby-Battery: SONY, CANON, FUJI

BTW, here is a NP-900 travel charger including 110v and 12 power sources for $7.87 plus shipping: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=205878878&listingid=16273679&dcaid=17902
[c]
np900charger2.jpg

[/c]

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom