12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are all these sentiments towards American for?
For me, they aren't towards Americans. They are towards the American movie industry.

You never know what the American movie industry is going to do with anything historical. The reason is that it has to appeal to an audience, and it can be hard to predict what that audience will want. A good example is the novel The Quiet American by Graham Greene. This remarkable novel was conceived in 1951 when Greene was working in what is now Vietnam, and it was published in 1955, well before most people think the United States was truly involved in that tragedy. It accurately portrays how that early version of the CIA was actively working there to intervene in the political situation by undermining the efforts of those it considered its enemy, and it accurately predicts what a hash we would make of it all. It is a brilliant attack on the American interventionism that was fueled by our anti-communist fervor.

In 1958, Hollywood made it into a movie, and was somehow able to do so despite the angry opposition of Greene. They made into a rah-rah! celebration of America's stand against the evils of communism with a clear message as completely opposite Greene's intent as you can possibly get. The movie was made that way because of the depths of thought in that era of the red scare.

Decades later, another movie version was made with the same title, and it was completely faithful to Graham's book. It was thus as opposite the 1958 movie as it could possibly be. This later version opened to great reviews but to disappointing audience totals because it was released immediately before the 9/11 attacks, which did not put the nation in the mood for anything that was not brimming with patriotism.

The movie industry will make a movie designed to attract an audience, and the nation's mood at the time will dictate what that audience wants.

Last edited:
I wonder if any video of the cave divers' experiences will come out. They might be total blackout - but it would be interesting to see (if there's anything to see). Once again, I am reminded why I don't want to do cave diving, and how much I admire those who embrace the challenge.

My non-expert attempt to comment on your questions, in order:
By my reading of events, the current flow was generally towards the exit of the cave. Entries were taking longer than exits. The route of rescue was the same after pumping, but with less water and more walking. They came out the same route as the one they went in (initially when it was dry).
Thank you for your input

Yes. From what I understand the group went in the cave before heavy rains started (unusually early in monsoon season which was supposed to start in July). Then they noticed ground water started to seep in by rising water table. The coach has been in the cave before so he knew where the high ground in the cave. They had to pass through the restriction, which was still dry at the time.

The restriction may not be much above them. It could be down & up like a “U” shape. The only way to get to the higher ground is by going through the restriction before turning into a water-filled sump.

BTW it’s not h20, it’s H2O or just simply type water.
Thank you for the detailed explanation.
I am a nurse so I know the difference between H and h20. We're all divers and I assume that everyone would understand the shorthand. Good reminder though to be more accurate!

Have a look at the sketch on Page 7, Post #68.
I believe it was sketched by one of the rescue team members asking for wider assistance, after emerging from one of the initial explorations. Not sure if 'above' is the right way to describe it.
Thank you for the reply. Nice of you to reference the map. It helped.

For me, they aren't towards Americans. They are towards the American movie industry.

I would actually prefer a good documentary with personal interviews of everyone involved. Any time there is a regular movie producer (e.g. Hollywood) they do tend to bend the events to grab as big of an audience as they can. Save that for the SciFi movies.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.
I am a nurse so I know the difference between H and h20. We're all divers and I assume that everyone would understand the shorthand. Good reminder though to be more accurate!

Well, I learn something new today. I’ve been diving for 13 years. This is the first time I see such short hand. Thank you for explaining.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom