12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sources seem to differ on the depth. Another link you posted (to the Blue World Academy video) claims starting at 10:45 that the depth isn't that much. Bends aren't a worry, according to them. Current, restrictions, and visibility are the worries.
Screen_Shot_2018-07-08_at_12.33.22_AM.png

Sources seem to differ on the depth. Another link you posted (to the Blue World Academy video) claims starting at 10:45 that the depth isn't that much. Bends aren't a worry, according to them. Current, restrictions, and visibility are the worries.

I hope the deepest sump isn’t that deep too. Zach of Blue World Academy did mention about speaking with one of the Danish cave diver who is there now involved with the rescue mission.

It's difficult to comprehend sending 13 international all star divers and five of your own best divers on an extraction that will take a few days to get all 12 kids and their coach out, and have a notion that they might just walk out and not need to dive, a notion that officials can't confirm.

I wish both teams the best of luck in the cave.

Last edited:
In a typical news story about a dive accident, the reporter will refer to the diers using oxygen tanks, and can routinely infer that they really mean air or nitrox. That is not completely true in this case.

In some articles, yes, you can see that they really mean air, but in some cases it really could be oxygen. For example, they want to bring the oxygen levels in the room up a bit, and different reporters have said they are using air tanks and oxygen tanks. Either one would work. In some articles, the reporter has called them air tanks in one sentence and oxygen tanks in another, and it is possible that either could be accurate or inaccurate. People with good knowledge have reported seeing big green oxygen supply bottles outside the caves in some of the news clips.

According to the Blue World Academy folks who spoke with people involved in the rescue mission, the former Thai Navy SEAL, Saman Gunan, died from running out of air on the way out after delivering the oxygen tank.

Another source: Thailand Cave Updates: At Least 2 Are Rescued Alive, Locals Say

"• A former Thai Navy diver who was helping with the rescue operation died Friday. He ran out of air while placing spare oxygen tanks along the route to the cavern where the boys are trap"

Last edited:
Reactions: Wah
Stretchers are great when you don't have to do things like, fold yourself in half to fit through a hole that's barely taller than your head and requires you to squeeze through inch by inch.

But sure, those guys that aren't there most definitely know the best way to do things.....

Yeah, the arrogance of some people, no mater how good / experienced they are, thousands of miles away. Well meaning no doubt, but...............after all they are French so ya gotta cut 'em some slack. (However, a radical, repeat radical, variation on their 'strectcher method' may, and only may, have some merit, but for now it seems those on-site have the situation in hand, or as in hand as can be given the circumsances. Man, some of those guys must be exhausted and running on adrenaline alone.)

Here's hoping for a 100% succesful rescue, which given the latest reports we should start seeing the results of very soon.

Definition of arrogance. : an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions.

Last edited:
It was stated earlier on this thread

Yes, I noticed that but is it really that deep in one or more sections? I am not so sure on that, that is, is / was there a misprint somewhere along the way? 90ft sounds awfully deep for what they are / have been doing.

Edit: I see several replies after my above seeming to imply 90ft but..........can anyone 100% confirm it's 90ft water depth or that part of the swim / sump is 90ft / 27m long? I'd be very interested to have that clarified.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom