11/20 Rutland Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Late Tuesday night, Spectre and I decided we needed to get out there. So Spectre called in sick and we packed it up early and headed up to VT for a little change of scenery. Long drive but the conditions looked excellent when we got to Rutland, especially considering the season – rather warm, sunshine and everything.

First time out, the vis was a tad low in places, but still beautiful. Great color… but a little devoid of life, I’ve heard the place is crawling with life some days… maybe check back in a few. “Bugs” were everywhere – tons of them – so many they were actually in the way. We resisted our mischievous tendencies and decided against molesting them – best to leave them undisturbed in their natural environment. Anyway, by the size of their heads, they were probably too big to be keepers. For this one, we explored a relatively small area, just trying to get back in the swing of things.

After a little lunch and a little rest we headed back out. Plan was to explore a bit more this time around. Vis was better yet, but the wind was picking up a bit. Temp was 30deg F, 38deg F below the thermocline, where coincidently the vis was much better. The temperature differential made it difficult to pick the appropriate exposure suit. After 4 hours in total, we had about enough and hit the convenient site-side bar for a few rounds.

I think the bad karma of using a sick day for fun got its payback with both of us. I had a major gear breakdown... could have been rather catastrophic. Fortunately it hit when we were almost back in and didn’t require a buddy rescue. But if the timing had been just a bit different it could have been a lot uglier – not to mention embarrassing. I learned a valuable, but soon-to-be expensive lesson: nine seasons is a bit too long to push some gear. During our post-dive de-brief (over our beers of course) Spectre came up with some options to remedy my gear problem. Off to ebay and my LSS I go. Spectre wasn’t immune either. He had to switch to his alternate in the final minute. It sparked up immediately and saved the day.

Here’s the specifics: plan was to stay between 4241 and 2478 feet. Beautiful ascents to that 4241’. Turn around pressure was 14.1; we both ended with 14.4. But man, you should have seen this bounce profile. The vis was marginally acceptable at about 50 feet near the top of the ascent, but was a crystal clear 5 miles at the bottom. The highlight was when Spectre experienced a decent rate approaching 3500 feet per minute. He looked in fine form and I do believe he had the skills and training to handle it. But man did that send the bugs scattering and looking for cover. Since Spectre’s been at this for a few more years than me I tried to keep my decent rate less than 3000 feet per minute.

My first time at this site… so, thanks to Spectre for coming up with the idea and showing me around. Absolutely amazing day at Rumney! Good conditions, company and beer… what more can a girl as for? I’ll let Spectre add anything I’ve omitted.

Now, time to deal with that pile of gear in the garage.

I've never been bent before, but I'm slightly concerned. The pain isn't in my joints, but I believe I might have taken a nasty hit in my legs. I'm fearing partial paralysis by morning!

perhaps the 3500 ft per minute descents caused the lactic acid to bubble up...

Think a chamber ride'll help? Or perhaps a bottle of tequila and a tin of tiger balm'll do the trick!

Spectre once bubbled...
perhaps a tin of tiger balm'll do the trick!

Sounds like a good time. Spectre, instead of tiger balm (which I have been using for about 15 years) use a similar product called Sen Jow. I recently picked some up on recomendation and may never buy tiger balm again. This stuff really works. (I have absolutely no connection with the product aside from using it)

Hope you guys had a great "dive". I've been meaning to hit that 4241 myself for a while now :D
Matt

dkerr once bubbled...
Spectre, instead of tiger barm [...]use a similar product called Sen Jow

Where'd you find that stuff? Given my upcoming ski schedule for this season, I definately forsee myself needing something!

Eric... Sorry for the confusion. I told Mer 'near rumney' when my synapses were misfiring. I've changed the references to 'near rutland'.

near rutland and 4241' should be easy to figure out :)

Got it = dosen't help I have only had one cup of coffee
:D

My guess is Killington...and you must have gone for either a hike or a ride, unless they're making snow already :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom