1000ft + Dive....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua Buoy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
To All,

I'm by no means a tekkie, but I am attracted to the technical aspects of things (got a little physics and math in me!). I keep up with what I can without getting too confused :)

Recently the 1000ft barrier was broken. My question is, how does a logistical operation like that take place??? Where does the funding come from? How does the dive actually take place? On a line, at a 1000ft? What kind of effort goes into planning?

I'd be interested in any information regarding this topic. I mostly ever hear of deep dive this and deep dive that, but hardly ever of the actual process!!!

Thanks y'all!

Peace :wink:

if I were you, I'd read "Caverns Measureless to Man" by Sheck Exley. Sheck started cave diving as a teen and invented a lot of the procedures used in cave and other tech diving. He was a genius, in my opinion. He did some deep diving, and in fact, died on a deep dive, which I believe was an attempt to reach or at least approximate 1,000 feet. The book has a lot in information about what's involved in extreme tech diving.

Originally posted by Campana
if I were you, I'd read "Caverns Measureless to Man" by Sheck Exley.

Another good resource is "Deep Diving" by Bret Gilliam. It covers
some of the pioneers and history of deep diving, and there is a
few pages about Sheck Exley's fatal attempt at 1000 feet. His
depth guage showed 904.

-Jeff

I read that book many years ago while doing my checkout dives in central florida. I have since been trying to remember the name and author.

Know of any other books along that line that are worth the time?

Yet another book that covers some deep diving (in particular deep cenotes in Mexico) but focuses mostly on cave diving is "The Cave Divers" by Robert Burgess. He has some info on Sheck Exley and his fatal 900ft+ dive. Even though the book's focus is not deep diving, it's still a very interesting read.

Chris

Originally posted by miztflip
Know of any other books along that line that are worth the time?

That's the only one I've read [well, not finished yet] that is truely
dedicated to deep diving.

However a couple of other extremely good books is "Deep
Descent" by Kevin McMurray. It's focused around accidents
and deaths of diving the Doria. A bit sombering, but excellent
to keep your perspective on things.

Another excellent "Must Read" is "The Last Dive" by Bernie
Chowdhury. I was expecting it to be mostly about the death
of the Rouses, but it turned out to be a lot more about the life
of the Rouses, and contains a lot of excellent information about
cave diving, wreck diving, and accidents that can happen.

-Jeff

Originally posted by funky__monks

Another excellent "Must Read" is "The Last Dive" by Bernie
Chowdhury. I was expecting it to be mostly about the death
of the Rouses, but it turned out to be a lot more about the life
of the Rouses, and contains a lot of excellent information about
cave diving, wreck diving, and accidents that can happen.

-Jeff

Not only about the life of the Rouses, but the life of almost anyone who dove with the Rouses. That book was extremely informative. It went back to the days when diving just started.

Yeah, definitely an excellent book. Funny how the pictorial section in the middle reads like a "who's who" of diving fatalities. A great book...

I'm taknig notes on this one. The list of books sounds very interesting. I'm making my list and will see where I can find them.

Again, thanks for your help. Keep the info coming :wink:

Peace=-)

Think the books were interesting....head to Beneath the Sea (every march in NJ)....and talk to Bernie Chowdery and Kevin McMurray!!!....they will keep the well above average techie....slack-jawed for hours!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom