1000 Lumen Dive Light - SORRY :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just ordered the DRIS 1000 lumen to be my new back up light. Can this thing really be anywhere near 1000 lumens??? At that price - you almost cant get hurt!

Yes, its very bright. Like a lot of things though, doubling the lumen does not double the perceived brightness. I think it's 2x the brightness of my backup light (rated at 200).

It's a solid piece of gear, I love it. The only detraction is that its a wee bit larger than some other backups that use smaller batteries.

Got mine a couple of weeks ago. It's an extremely well constructed light. I dive mostly in local lakes where visability varies between 2ft to 15 ft. This light works perfectly in these conditions. It is now my primary light. My backup is a Dorcy 220.

I just ordered the DRIS 1000 lumen to be my new back up light. Can this thing really be anywhere near 1000 lumens??? At that price - you almost cant get hurt!

I had a chance to put the brightness to a real test earlier this month when my primary light failed me almost 1000 feet back in a cave. I deployed my DRIS 1000 backup and signaled the team to exit. After the dive, one of my buddies told me that if she had a backup light like that she'd probably have just continued the dive (I had two other backups in the event this one failed).

In a cave, about the only drawback is that the halo on this light is wider than my primary, which made it more difficult for me to see the light of the person behind me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Got mine a couple of weeks ago. It's an extremely well constructed light. I dive mostly in local lakes where visability varies between 2ft to 15 ft. This light works perfectly in these conditions. It is now my primary light. My backup is a Dorcy 220.

The DIRS 1000 lumen is my primary light as well... I have a DIRS 500 lumen as my back up and I can't tell them apart except for the logo where it says 500 or 1000:cool3:

I had a chance to put the brightness to a real test earlier this month when my primary light failed me almost 1000 feet back in a cave. I deployed my DRIS 1000 backup and signaled the team to exit. After the dive, one of my buddies told me that if she had a backup light like that she'd probably have just continued the dive (I had two other backups in the event this one failed).

In a cave, about the only drawback is that the halo on this light is wider than my primary, which made it more difficult for me to see the light of the person behind me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
these things are great backup lights for caves!

these things are great backup lights for caves!
I actually use this DRIS 1000 as my backup primary. With the estimated burn time combined with the size, it's easy to store in a pocket. It came in handy this past weekend in Mexico whereon 2 days of diving, both times on the 2nd dive my primary light decided to call it quits. I was diving with someone who, after seeing it, agreed to use this as my primary in the case of a primary light failure. It is larger than I'd like for a primary but I'm about to order several more. I simply have not experienced in any way a light with this type of performance at this price.

Great thread.

I've been looking for an inexpensive, bright primary light for the cold green waters of the Salish Sea around the east side of Vancouver Island.

After buying a Trust(Miss)fire df 003 and watching it dissolve like an Alka Seltzer on submerging in water, dealing with overseas customer service and shipping to and from China, I'm only considering lights available from North America.

I've been researching three candidates the DRIS 1000, Tovatec SL1 and the MJ 810e.

and the winner is......the DRIS 1000!

Bang for the buck, customer support and available on my home continent.

I'm putting in my order today with a 3" snap lock on the side.

Cheers.

Update. Order placed. Now the waiting.

Comparing it to my 10w HID, they are neck and neck with brightness. It seems like the DRIS light is a bit brighter, but that may be an illusion due to the different color temperature.

FWIW the TrustFire's are hit or miss depending on the model. I've not heard of any problems with the TR-J!. The DF 003 on the other hand is a dog.

I like my DRIS 1000 and my TR-J1. Now what would make me really happy is one of the manufacturers came out with a decent can light with 3-5 LED's on the head. That would get a couple hundred bucks from me.

Back
Top Bottom