100% solo diving, in new location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The solo diving forum is definetly a betterplace.
My main general advice though would be that if you cant think of any potential hazards, its not the day to do a solo dive.
The days I dont worry about anything and cant see any potential danger, I dont go in alone because I know I must have overseen something I should have seen and thus is not as aware as I preferr to be for a solo dive.

In the advanced forum, you said that the local shops and others dive this lake. Why not arrange to tag along for a few dives before going solo? If your living there, it will still be there when your ready.

Get a redundant air supply. Being able to breathe makes all the difference in the world.

Have at least two cutting implements, one of them shears.

Make sure someone knows where and when you will be diving; the specific entry and assumed exit point. In some places the entry and exit can be more dangerous than the rest of the dive; if people know where to look for you it increases your chance of survival.

Take 2 lights.

Since your diving in Canada, try not to look like a female moose in heat.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The thread from the advanced forum has been moved to solo and merged with the other thread started here

I like the advice to talk with some divers familiar with the lake. You might gain a lot of local knowledge that you otherwise couldn't know, like where the best sites are, what the particular hazards are, and what the attitude is towards divers.

I would probably recommend diving with a float on a lot of the small lakes around here if you're diving from shore. If it has a lot of pleasure boaters, it could help a lot. Again, locals can tell you if the flags are required/beneficial, and whether or not the boat traffic respects a dive flag.

I do the same predive check before every dive. I go from head to to function checking, and verifying all the equipment I think I have is there and functional. An alternate air source is nice to have, but there are very few failures that will leave you out of air in less time than it will take for you to ascend from 30' other than you running out of air.

For all divers I would recommend you be fit enough to swim to shore with full gear, and have enough reserve energy for any unexpected exertion that might be required. I also recommend you be able to reach your tank valve while underwater. These are especially important if you're by yourself, IMO.

Tom

Tom has some good comments there.

I also lay out and gear up the same way each time so it becomes apparent if I miss something. I make a point not to be in a hurry. Redundancy is important but only a small part of soloing. Although I have two masks, cutters tanks etc... I have never had to cut my way out of an entanglement or go to my pony. Situational awareness is the most important skill to possess and the ability to STOP, BREATHE, THINK, ACT.

I've exchanged the PADI nemonic BWRAF to BAR (bouyancy, air, releases). It covers the same things without the final check. For bouyancy I inflate and deflate my BC and DS. This catches any unattached hoses. For Air I breathe all my regs (including pony) and check my SPG's. This catches any problems and ensures my valves are on. Releases covers well ... releases (especially that crotch strap!) and my weights, which are in quick release pockets.

I won't say whether you should solo or not but I'll tell you what I know of lake diving in Canada (BC). It can be cold and dark, with varying vis top to bottom (Yesterday I was in 2-3ft vis). Fishing line and fishermen are perhaps the greatest danger along with submerged trees and branches. They are more of a hazard than the line I think. Many lakes have bottoms of deep undisturbed silt that can cause an instant brownout if you stir it up. Not really a problem if you keep your cool and swim out of it.

Speaking of Moose. A moose standing in water with its head submerged feeding looks exactly like a grizzly bear (as I have discovered).

What region of Canada are you in BTW?

Moose.... yes, plus they taste really good, especially in sausage or chili!

I am in Calgary, BTW - Cow Town, Rodeo Mecca, Oiltown, Skiing paradise and Hunting heaven!:wink:

Anyways, this is some good advise here! I thought about just going in with a local dive outfit , just to learn about the location and build on existing knowledge, rather than finding out about potential bad stuff myself. Also, i am big into fishing, so I am trying to get a bathymetric fishing map, showing all the depth points and underwater features.

The good thing is, that no powerboating is allowed on the lake, that is one hazard less.

I am negotiating with a guy on a "spare air" package that he wants to sell, my thought is that may be all right as redundant air source...? :confused:

Keep the comments coming and thank you all!

I am negotiating with a guy on a "spare air" package that he wants to sell, my thought is that may be all right as redundant air source...? :confused:

Keep the comments coming and thank you all!

Not for solo diving.

It's simply not big enough. You really should invest in a pony bottle (3 or 5 litre) with a normal regulator for bailout.

R..

I will say that topside impressions and the perceptions of others can be very misleading. Fresh water is all about "what you find" and sometimes it's hostile stuff. Just because it's at home I would not cut it any slack. Treat it like any other unknown location.

Pete

+1 what Pete said.

Until you actually know what is there, dive it with a buddy.
Solo diving new sites is only for the very experienced, very good, very confident and/or very foolish.

The OP also states there is good fishing.
Where there is good fishing there is lost monofilament line.
Where there is lost line is where you will get into a jam.
You cannot see that stuff unless the light hits it at just the right angle.
From personal experience I can tell you that you do not want to be cutting yourself free while solo diving.

The SDI solo diving course and the accompanying manual does a great job detailing a complete thought process behind safe and methodical solo diving. Some good tips here, but they are just that, tips. The course guide is a much more complete approach, and the material is presented in a logical manner.

I also recommend Robert Von Maier's book "Solo Diving", very similar in its thought process.

Back
Top Bottom