100% Free flow at 135Ft and 41F water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not want to use the octo cause I got scared by the impressive
rate at which my air pressure was falling at depth.

Switching to your Octo would not have changed this. The freeflow was going to continue. Why not eliminate the blast of air going down your throat? Perhaps that would have alleviated enough of the scary part for you to consider folding the hose over and conserving air for a calm and controlled ascent.

-Charles

The Forest City can be a very intimidating dive. However, most people recommend that you do not attempt the dive without a redundant air source. Many divers have lost their lives on this wreck and mostly from drowning due to OOG situations. The dive ops in Tobermory won't let a diver on Forest City or Arabia without a logbook proving that they have the experience the handle them, but maybe, it should be getting to the point or requiring redundancy on these dives. I wouldn't dream of doing either without redundancy.

Well, at least I got to see that awesome boiler!

First of all, thank you for sharing your incident with us.

1. What kind of regulator(s) were you using at the time, and were they cold water rated?
2. I have spoken with a local dive shop about HP hose leaks and they said it is quite common, especially around the console where the o-ring meets the swivel. Was your HP hose leak there or somewhere else?

Edit: Advice already given in previous post.

First of all, thank you for sharing your incident with us.

1. What kind of regulator(s) were you using at the time, and were they cold water rated?
2. I have spoken with a local dive shop about HP hose leaks and they said it is quite common, especially around the console where the o-ring meets the swivel. Was your HP hose leak there or somewhere else?

If you click on my profile, my full gear list is there.

The HP hose leaked along it's lenght, through almost invisible
holes, in a regular pattern.

The dive shop tech thinks it was the machine that grabbed the hose and move it
forward in the manufacturing proccess...

MG

The HP hose leaked along it's lenght, through almost invisible
holes, in a regular pattern.

The dive shop tech thinks it was the machine that grabbed the hose and move it
forward in the manufacturing proccess...

The holes in the outer jacket are as designed, and are not a flaw. The purpose is to allow air to leak out if the inner hose leaks. Without them the outside would blow up like a balloon and eventually pop.

If you see air coming out, the hose is bad, but not because of the tiny holes in the outer jacket.

Terry

The holes in the outer jacket are as designed, and are not a flaw. The purpose is to allow air to leak out if the inner hose leaks. Without them the outside would blow up like a balloon and eventually pop.

If you see air coming out, the hose is bad, but not because of the tiny holes in the outer jacket.

Terry

yes, and the shop tech sounds pretty ignorant.

Now some people say go to pony immediately, but I disagree
as the pony is the insurance and I would like to avoid a crash
before I call the insurance, I also have a buddy or two to think of.

MG

I believe buddies are bad option here as you can cause freeflowing on your buddy regs.

Back
Top Bottom