10 easy ways to protect the environment during your holidays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSS

Registered
Reaction score
Amphoe Muang Ranong, Ranong, Thailand, Thailand
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Have you booked your dream holiday on the other side of the planet and feel a little bit environmentally guilty about it?...
blog-post-header3_orig.jpg

Here are a few ways for you to take care of your carbon footprint during your holidays, and then try to take those good habits home with you!

BEFORE LEAVING, SAVE ENERGY

Turn off all the electrical appliances and devices that you won’t use while you're gone. Unplug everything you can and try to keep running appliances at a minimum. If you are leaving for an extended period of time, take this opportunity to clean out your fridge and freezer to dispose of the unwanted items. If you are really motivated, you can even empty it entirely and leave it off while you're gone. Donate the items to a friend in need or a community center for those less fortunate than you. Waste not, want not.
CARPOOL

If you cannot avoid driving, try and fill all the spaces in your car that you can. All over the world you can find apps, facebook pages and websites that connect people traveling in the same directions for ride shares. This reduces your carbon emissions and can even save you a little money on gas with friends to share the bill!
PRINT AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE

Don’t bother printing your booking tickets. You probably wont need them and find them transformed into a sweaty lump in your money belt weeks later. Nowadays just showing your passport or ID card is enough for the hostess to find you in the database at the airline check-in counter. You can also show the QR code from the company on your mobile.
Take photos on your phone or save a copy of your important documents on your cloud so you can access it at anytime if needed.
dsc-0183-orig.jpg

DON’T WRAP YOUR LUGGAGE IN PLASTIC

Use protective luggage covers or just a secured clip instead of the wasteful shrink wrap machine. There are many options for keeping your luggage clean and firmly shut.

USE AN ECO FRIENDLY SUNSCREEN

Did you know that conventional sunscreen contains a chemical that destroys coral reefs and marine ecosystems? Its name is oxybenzone, and many sunscreens contain it. According to experts, approximately 14,000 tons of sunscreen end up in the oceans every year.
Search online or at your local dive center for reef safe options. They are now becoming increasingly affordable and easy to find.
Go Shopping with your OWN REUSABLE BAG

Purchase a reusable cloth bag to carry with you on any shopping spree. They come in many different sizes and some even fold up into tidy little pouches or keychains. This can allow you to say no to single use plastics from small shops that are likely to find there way into the ocean eventually. Remember turtles can hardly tell the difference between a plastic bag and a jellyfish!
REFILL DONT BUY

Carrying a reusable water bottle is an excellent idea whether you are going on a walk in your local park or departing on a faraway holiday. Avoiding buying single use plastic bottles is not only good for the budget but also good for the environment. I personally suggest a double layered insulated bottle which will keep that water icy cold even in the hottest climates.
With increasing global awareness about going green, you can often find fill stations for water bottles all over the world. When in doubt, go to a dive center and ask the staff about filling stations.
1234.jpg

SAY NO TO STRAWS
When you order your cocktail at the beach bar, don’t forget to say “no straw”. Single use plastic straws have been the target of successful global campaigns raising awareness of how they can impact our oceans.
If you don't like to sip your drink from the edge of the cup consider a reusable option like metal or bamboo. You can even buy collapsible straws that are easily stored in a small case connected to a keychain.
no-straws-please-orig.jpg

BRING YOUR CUP

Do you need the comfort of caffeine in the morning? Do you hate drinking your sunset mojito from disposable plastic cups?
Where many people will think to bring a reusable water bottle, most don't think to bring other reusable beverage receptacles. An insulated thermos for your morning coffee is a great way to reduce waste and keep the drink piping hot until you're ready for your fix. Beach bars are notorious for going through hundreds of plastic cups in a night. You can do your part by having your own party tumbler which will keep your drink cold and covered from sand or other undesirable additions.
There's even an added bonus that some places will offer you a discount for bringing your own cup!

…. AND YOUR CUP!

Ladies, we all know that week when the bathroom’s trash bin is particularly full. Have you ever tried the cup?
This revolutionary feminine hygiene product helps to reduce the rubbish you can produce during that special time of the month. You can wear it day or nights, for much longer than a tampon. It's also very comfortable and rarely leaks.
Trying is adopting it! Even for diving, it is tested and approved.

REED MORE ABOUT DIVING AND MARINE LIFE ON OUR BLOG

If you're hopping on a plane, flying around the world and then getting on a boat to go diving I don't think you can argue a case that you really care much about the environment. Pretending you do by doing things you should have been doing all your life to offset your guilt is nothing short of hypocrisy.

It's all good and agreeable, but it reads like an old post from another age when no one, and I mean literally no one, is booking a dream holiday on the other side of the planet.

A lot of this stuff, I think, is "preaching to the choir". The one I continue to be disappointed about is when I see people whipping out sunscreen that is clearly not reef friendly. I give Rainbow Reef props for having Stream to Sea on their boats for folks to use. If you don't look like Caspar the Friendly Ghost you're probably not using reef friendly sunscreen. :)

these rules should be your every day rules, you don't need to go in vacation to apply them
100% agree with that!

If you're hopping on a plane, flying around the world and then getting on a boat to go diving I don't think you can argue a case that you really care much about the environment. Pretending you do by doing things you should have been doing all your life to offset your guilt is nothing short of hypocrisy.
There is no question that traveling is far from being good for the planet however still a lot of people still want to see what's on the other side of the planet. It doesn't mean that they don't care about the environment entirely. These are "easy tips for all and everyone to follow to limit the damage" there is of course a lot more than can be done. I think that if everyone could do all these little things it would have a bigger effect than the few people doing everything right.

A lot of this stuff, I think, is "preaching to the choir". The one I continue to be disappointed about is when I see people whipping out sunscreen that is clearly not reef friendly. I give Rainbow Reef props for having Stream to Sea on their boats for folks to use. If you don't look like Caspar the Friendly Ghost you're probably not using reef friendly sunscreen. :)
Me too!!! but what I find even more incredible is the amount of divers who have no idea about how bad this is for the reef. this info should be part of everyone's open water course. Dont you think?

Sorry bro, no way you can paint dropping literally tons of C02 per person as environmentally concerned. Not to mention the effects of the metals mined to make those vehicles, the resources used to make the airports etc. It would literally be more environmentally responsible if possible and long enough bridges existed if every single passenger drove themselves there one person per car instead of using commercial air travel. Trying to spin it like we're some kind of environmental superhero for not using straws while dumping tons of poison into the atmosphere, the very water we're going to dive and the land we live on is just sad.

There is no question that traveling is far from being good for the planet however still a lot of people still want to see what's on the other side of the planet. It doesn't mean that they don't care about the environment entirely. These are "easy tips for all and everyone to follow to limit the damage" there is of course a lot more than can be done. I think that if everyone could do all these little things it would have a bigger effect than the few people doing everything right.

Sometimes we need to see places to know that we want and need to save then. Isn't that the principal behind zoos and aquariums?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom