10 days trip to Panglao & Malapascua: report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebib

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Back from our 10 days trip to Panglao - Malapascua

First we stayed in Panglao – Alona beach
We dove with Seaquest Divers on Alona beach. Dive operator is so-so: material is not really in good shape; the DM did not really care about the divers and was just doing the “ minimal service”.
Organization is poor i.e. you have to come one day prior diving in order to get the material ready. When jumping on the boat on the next day, we realized that the material was actually not on the boat. On the top of it some materials (back from the shop) were deficient so that they had to do some last minute adaptation with what was available on board. As a result, my wife has to dive (3 dives) with a BCD larger by 2 sizes and I with dirty misty mask. Of course they did show any embarrassments for that.

Dive sites: I’d recommend Arco Point (very nice wall), & balicasag (good macro and nice turtles). I have been a little bit disappointed by Cabilao. The diving is still very good but quite similar to Balicasag, but it takes an extra 4 hours for the round trip from Alona Beach (but it might also be due to the bad mood of the day due to the bad materials we had to dive with).

Now the funny part, when leaving, we settled the bill with the shop (without a double check on the calculation sum; the staff was also not keen to show the details).
Next day, on the way to Malapascua, I received a phone call from Seaquest shop; they had just notified that they made a mistake on the bill (of course, on my favor, I very much doubt that they would have call me if opposite situation would have happened). The operator insisted first to stop the taxi and get back to Alona beach or to give my credit card details directly over the phone. Of course I said it was not going to happen and ask her to send me the details of the bill by email and that I’ll settle it when being at destination. Meanwhile, she did not stop from calling and sending messages. On Malapascua, I realized the miscalculation done by the dive shop and proposed her to, instead of given by credit card details via mail (for safety reasons), to settle the deal with the Seaquest dive shop operating on Malapascua. I admit, this was not my priority in Malapascua so that I did not settle it down first thing as we were there for several days. We had first to check-in for Hotel and dive shop (of course, not Seaquest and we were unhappy with services on Alona beach)
Huge mistake !!! The dive shop did not stop to harass us: phone calls, messages, and emails. On the top of it, the malapacua shop started to investigate on me i.e. going to every dive ops and hotels to find us back. We were literally feeling like fugitives thieves. And second admittance, the more you harass me, the less I’m likely to rush and settle it. Finally, on our second day, the malapascua dive ops came to harass us on the beach while we were resting after an early dive. After a long explanation (convincing them that we did left Alona beach with an unpaid bill, but a miscalculation from the shop) we settled it with the malapascua office.
To our personal opinion, the way we have been treated by Seaquest is unacceptable. They made a mistake and started to constantly harassing & spying us. From the first day, I confirmed by mail that I will settle the issue the dive ops in malapascua and I did. If I were willing not to pay them back, I’d never have answer the calls and mails and for sure would never come to Malapascua where they also are. I believe this is not the right way to deal with your customers.

In malapacua, we dove with Evolution. The dive shop (run by a English-Irish duo) is recent meaning all material is also new. They are well organized and keen to change the planning (whenever possible) to accommodate your dive wishes. We dove with 4 different DMs (or DMT or Instructor); they were all good, motivated, cautious and friendly. The dive shop is also attached with a resort (haven’t stay there, but people seems to be satisfied with it) and an Irish Pub (Craig house) serving Guinness and good quality food (no fixed menu, just daily suggestions which also means fresh quality). They also play excellent music.
We stayed @ Sun Splash resort (php 2200 for A/c , hot shower room). The room was big & clean and the hotel is located right in the middle of bounty beach. I think it is good value for money.
Dive sites: I highly recommend Gato island (best dives in the all trip), Batong bato. Moad shoal is nothing special except the Thresher sharks (I dove it twice, but no thresher sharks for me), Night dive on light-house reef was also excellent (mandarin fishes, lots of crabs, sea horses…).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom