10 days in Saba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was worried about the flights down since my flight karma has been running bad my last few trips. It was all good. Took the Win-air flight into Saba and it was worth it.

We had a private cottage right next door to Juliana's in Winward side. A/C was accomplished by opening the french doors and the windows. At night we added a fan. It took a night to get used to the tree frogs and one night I had one beeping near the window and I really wanted to find the snooze button since it sounded like an alarm. I would strongly recommend staying at Juliana's for it's proximity to everything. Shearwater is higher up with better views, but there is no guarantee the taxi's will be able to make it up the driveway. It is VERY steep.

We enjoyed every restaurant meal we ate. Definite don't misses... Sunday and Thursday smoked chicken or ribs (or both) at Swinging Doors. And Tuesday is steak night. The former is $15 the latter is $20. It is WORTH IT. Otherwise plan on dinners out running $30-50 per head. Depending on how/what you drink of course.

We took a day off of diving to walk the Sandy Cruz trail and I had more fun than Vanessa did. At the tail end of the trail we met Tom Van't Hoff but didn't know who he was. His talk at Eco Lodge on Wednesday night is worth it. He was a major player in founding the marine park on Saba and other islands.

The diving was awesome. Vis slowly dropped the whole time we were there, but it just couldn't ruin the experience. Extremely healthy reefs. Hard and soft corals abound. Sponges every where. Lots of fish, grouper, snapper, 4 frog fish, nurse and carribbean reef sharks, my first experience with tarpon (not shy) hawksbills including one that wanted to (or tried to) eat Vanessa's hair. Favorite sites in no particular order... Third Encouter (pinnacle) and The needle, Man o war shoals, Davids drop off, Core Gut, Hot Springs (proof the volcano is only dormant), Tent reef deep. 21 dives in 8 diving days. Many were over an hour long.

Sea Saba treated us extremely well. I look forward to the day we can go back.

Tom

Thanks for the report TBT. Did Saba early in my diving and it remains on my 'let's go back' list. One question - in retrospect was 10 days too long, not long enough or just right? We've thought a few days there and the rest on St. Marteen, more because we have a timeshare there (SXM) then anything else.

For me, 10 days was about right. we got to see almost all the prime dive sites, and did one of the easier (?) hiking trails. I love the solitude for short periods of time and the people were just great.

We are headed to Saba in early November for 9 nights and 7 days diving, figuring we'll take one day off dving and hike Mt. Scenery. We will be diving with Sea Saba. We're staying in a cottage on Booby Hill, a 10-minute walk up from Windwardside. What were the restaurants you liked? Did you buy groceries? Did they have everything you wanted?

How was Winnair with your baggage? Did you carry on much?

Any Saba tips are appreciated!

We liked all the restaurants. Eden, Brigadoon, Queens Garden, Saba's treasure for pizza. Just be sure to be adventuresome and try the stuff you can't get here. See my notes about Swinging Doors above.

We did groceries for breakfast and lunch. It really is significantly cheeper. But on the other hand, there are no guarantees as to what the stores will have. No such thing as a Kroger on the island. Buy bread in the morning or after a two tank dive. It's made fresh everyday, and they run out.

Win-air was fine with the bags. Weight limits are kinda sort of enforced. We were ok on Win-air, but had to rearrange for American. Third bag is $25. We had three between the two of us.

Have fun and be fun. Go drink with Beka. Take your best blonde jokes. Give Senaca a scratch on the ears. Wish we were going with you.

Tom

Thanks for the report. Saba is definately one place I want to return. We dove with Sea Saba and stayed at Juliana's as well. We had a wonderful time, too.

Back
Top Bottom