(10/30/03) Personal hang line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't know exactly where to ask this, so I'll try it here...

Safety stops can get a little crowded at times, when 10 or more divers are hanging on to the same mooring line between 10 and 20 feet, bounced around by strong current and such. I've seen divers back off on their own lines, but then -

Afte I get out, I get sidetracked talking about the dive, treating my jellyfish facial sting, whatever, and forget to ask to see the line. Someone please take pity, and tell me:

(1) What are they called; and

(2) How do you suggest I make one...?

thanks, on

They are called Jon Lines. They can be made pretty easily with a piece of rope, with two spliced loops on the end.

I tend to use my spool when I need one.

I know Walter is an expert at making Jon Lines, he can definately help out with the easiest ways to make them.

The easiest way to make one is to take 7 to 9 feet of 1 inch nylon webbing and sew a 6 inch loop in both ends. Loop one end over a carabiner and use the loop in the other end to go around the anchor line and thread the strap back though the loop.

Alternatively, you can use a carabiner on both ends, but I prefer the loop as you can snug it up and it will hold it's position on the anchor line. If no one else is clipped in above you, you can just loosen it a bit and slide it up to the next stop. If someone is above you, you'll need to unthread it to pass the guy above you, but it still is not too much trouble, particularly on long stops.

As a compromise, you can buy or make a spring clip that will slide over the anchor line. It offers the advantage of holding its position on the line like a loop and also can be unclipped with one hand like a carabiner. But it is a bit of a specialty item.

My preference is to just keep a 6 foot long strap of 1" webbing with a pair of 6" loops sew in it and a carabiner in my pocket. It can be used as a jon line, as a buddy line, or for rigging a liftbag and lifting things like anchors off the bottom.

An easier way is this:

Take a dog leash. Replace the crummy clip with a smallish stainless carabiner or clip of your choice. Now just loop it around the line. You have two options here. You can either pass the clip through the loop, so you end up with the clip in your hand to clip yourself to (?), or pass the line through the clip so you end up with the loop in your hand. Either way, you want the line passed through something so it snugs down. The just loosen it a bit and slide up to the next stop.

Clear as mud? Good.

Hey, look, another thread from years past! I wonder if Don ever got around to getting a jon line?

Ah crap. I guess this is what I get for using the search function, then forgetting I used the search function and not checking the date.

Sorry guys. I'll kick myself for you......

EDIT: Man, this is a REALLY old one!

Doc Intrepid:
Don, don't ever clip the damned thing to yourself. I've seen some bizarre shizzle happen.

Hold it in your hand. If you need both hands loop one end loosely over your wrist.

If you need to unass the line you're going to want to do so real expeditiously...
Well, this thread is nearly two years old, but - Pipe Dope made me one and mailed it to me, and I sent him one of my little desktop advertising calculators with my thanks. I carry it in a little pocket of my BC and have used it a few times to back out of the crowd. :35: Pretty neat.

I appreciate the heads up, but if I'm in a current, I know I don't want to be tied to the mooring line. :11: This one has loops on both end, and I can escape quickly if needed. The dog leash idea is certainly a good one, but I don't think I'd want a caribener anywhere in my dive bag. Maybe a bolt clip...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom