1 Day of diving on Cayman. What to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapilot2000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My wife and I with our 4 kids are coming into Cayman as part of our holiday cruise for one day on Dec. 27.

We'd like to do a couple of dives. Everyone is certified.
Daughter - Jr. Advanced OW (12)
3 sons - Advanced OW (16, 17, 18)
Wife - OW
Me - MI

Only I've been to Cayman before. This is everyone else's first time. But even for me it's been at least 10 years since I've been there.

We'd look to stay 70' or shallower.

Enough background. So my preference in diving would be to do 2 dives. 1 wreck or really cool reef and then for the second dive, do the stingray city dive (I think the kids would get a huge kick out of that).

I'm not sure what dive sites would work for something like that. Or if there is a dive operator that can accomodate that type of request.

Thoughts or recomendations?

Have you asked your cruise operator if they use any particular operator? That way they are responsible to ensure that you make it back in time for ships movement.
Usually Stingray City is a trip unto itself cause its a long boatride for most of the operators.

If you want good shore diving head to either Sundivers at the Turtle Farm or Divetech at Lighthouse Point (just south of the Turtle Farm)

I would avoid Eden Rock at all costs.

Like I said logistics for Stingray City is tough to do a second dive. Just the way it is. I've done the dive twice, Its cool but thats all you're going to be able to do that day.

Thanks. Makes sense. So that sort of begs the second question.

If you had one day on Cayman would you do 2 dives or do stingray city snorkel??

I seem to remember them offering the 2 tank dive on walls or a 2 tank dive, one being Stingray city, a 12 foot deep dive. I prefer the walls.

Since you said the Stingray City option was Snorkling I'd go for the 2 dives. Lots of good sites near the cruise boats. I know one poster had a bad time with the Eden Rock operator. But the divesite is excellent if you go there by boat with another operator. Especially if you are taking pictures.

pir8 why spend a $100.00 for a boat dive to eden rock when you can spend $16.00 and do 2 tanks at the same site from shore? They charge $10.00 for the first tank and $6.oo or the second.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom