1-Day in George Town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basheirt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will be in George Town, GC, on 12/27/2022 from 10am-6pm on a cruise stop. Looking to dive with a very safe and reputable dive company NOT affiliated with the cruise.

Any recommendations of who to use? Why?
Any warnings about who NOT to use? Why not?

How many are in your group? Might be hard to get a two tank trip out of an operator for just you or a couple, because you have to tender to shore on GC. So while they may say you will be in port at 10, it may take longer to get to shore. And most operators are going to do 2-tank trips starting at 8-830. I don’t have any suggested operators, but if you have more than two divers, you might be able to charter your own trip with somebody who runs six packs.

There are a few dive ops left that still cater to the cruise visitor, but for the life of me I don't remember which ones survived COVID. Take a look at some websites of dive ops and see which ones say they cater to those unusual times and then contact them for details.

Dive ops on Cayman are generally very safe and reputable - they couldn't survive otherwise, with all the competition.

If you do find some dive ops that will work with you, feel free to post here to get people's opinions.

Good luck!

Also if you have a buddy, taking a cab to one of the shops with on site shore diving is worth considering then no schedule issues. I’d suggest Sunset House (closer) or Sundivers at Turtle Reef (better diving), both have good food options and would be good places to do a couple dives and hang out for the day.

Give Mike Painter, Lobster Pot Dive Center, a 5 minute walk from the cruise terminal a call and see if he has availability for your port times. He runs a really good dive op, and is my go to guy in GC. I have never been disappointed when diving with him and his crew. Tell him Guy said to say hello.

DIVE@LOBSTERPOTDIVECENTER.COM or call 1 345 936 8685

Edit: If you don't have any loyalty status to get you off the ship on a very early tender, I recommend you just go down to the gangway with the first tender group anyway, and get on the tender. There is almost always a few seats not being used by passengers on ship excursions and people with tender priority. If you use Lobster Pot, when you get to the street, turn right and walk 5 minutes or so and you'll see them on the right/water side.

I second Lobster Pot. We used them several years ago while on a cruise ship stop and they were very accommodating. We had to tender from the ship to the dock, but the Lobster Pot shop was a short walk from the dock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom