1/18/2012 Cantarel Wall with Blue XTSEA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We can't touch any sponges yet the parrot fish eat on them profusely....Its a good thing fishing is allowed in some areas to thin out these sponge predators...oh yes and the lion fish will help too. The sponges should be safe for now.

We have been to Cozumel a half dozen times over the years, diving with several dive shops including Blue XT Sea. We have never dove the Cantarel site, and I am curious if you need to make special arrangements in advance.

There is a nice website with the Coz dive sites -- Reefs of Cozumel - Eagle Ray Wall -- including an information page on Cantarel that talks about hanging on while watching the Eagle Rays: "The divers will hold onto the dead coral on the wall and just watch the parade."

Since I did not see the trip report before it was pulled did it happen to say if this is normal behavior with that dive op or dive guide? The owner of that shop is always on here yet 22 posts into this thread and no comment about how those divers have no problem killing reef for a few pictures. If I were diving on a boat and the dive guide yelled at me for doing that I sure as heck wouldn't post about it making me look worse so I assume nothing was said to her following that dive. It does not matter if it is outside of the marine park or not the only reason to grab reef is to save yourself or someone else period......NOT take pictures. If I were running a dive shop divers would be warned before every dive that behavior is not tolerated and you would be banned from diving as a customer if it happens. I guess that it is totally obvious there is nothing even close in this particular case. Hey OP just curious......what was your pre-dive briefing?? The dive guide knows what the conditions are like up there and presumably saw you had a camera so was anything said?

I can say that I know both the shop owner, and the person guiding the dive, and I have every reason to believe that this is not normal behaviour, or in any way condoned by either of them. I was not there to know what if anything was said or seen, but I have great faith that they are both very aware of environmental issues, and I have no reason to believe that on this day they would have chosen to change that environmental awareness.

Haha! Nice try WSO - I am not even going to justify your ridiculous post with a response - I don't need to and won't waste any energy on it!

Thank you Matt!

ScubaGolf - the Eagle Ray dive is seasonal but we do it pretty regularly (once or twice a week) during the season depending on conditions and various other factors!

Haha! Nice try WSO - I am not even going to justify your ridiculous post with a response - I don't need to and won't waste any energy on it!

Thank you Matt!

Well thanks for confirming my point.....It is obvious nothing was said pre-dive or after addressing the issue and to top it off you think it's funny your customers behave this way. What a pity........

Don't smack the tar baby.... :D

Well thanks for confirming my point.....It is obvious nothing was said pre-dive or after addressing the issue and to top it off you think it's funny your customers behave this way. What a pity........

Dude, what's your problem? I just got back last night from a week long trip in Cozumel with Christi's operation. I witnessed first hand a first class dive op. I've been fortunate enough to dive all over the Caribbean and the safety and pre-dive info at blue XT sea was the most thorough I have received. I never witnessed one diver or DM touch any marine life on any dive. In fact, on my last dive Pedro our DM pulled up an old snorkel and mask he found on the bottom, so no marine life would be harmed.

Hey WSOPFAN, why so bitter? Things can't be that bad down there in your Mom's basement. Be nice or Mommy will take your xbox away from you for a week.

Back
Top Bottom