1/18/2012 Cantarel Wall with Blue XTSEA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is the trip report?

Disregard ? answered

I thought mjatkins went out of his way to be kind, while still educating the OP. All divers are still learning and nobody knows all and it is the responsibility of others to HELP, not criticize those we see are making a mistake.

I must be missing something. Where does the accusation of "destroying a living sponge" come from? It seems to me that touching or holding, and destroying are very different things.

I appreciate the explanation as to why the helpful info was provided to the OP as I didn't see the trip report; must have been deleted by the time I read. I was a bit confused and thought the poster was being a bit harsh at first. Now that I know more I think the post was appropriate. As it's been mentioned we all do things early on that we don't realize hurt or impact the underwater environment and any advice that can be provided is helpful. On a final note we'll be there in 3 wks and I hope to see the squadrons, they are the most beautiful creatures!!

It seems to me that touching or holding, and destroying are very different things.

How much touching and/or holding is appropriate? How is one to know when they've crossed the line over to destroying? Unless we are certain where that line is, are we not better to advocate "don't touch"? Here in Cozumel, why would it be okay to touch a sponge at Cantarel but not at Yucab? Doesn't that muddy the waters even more?

Thank you for your opinion. Let me try to address your points. I had no intention of humiliating anyone. The original poster wrote a long report outlining the thrill of the event, and how "as if hanging onto a 4 foot barrel sponge wasn't thrilling enough". I did not call her out, she posted about her experience. I have only commented on it, in what I thought was an extremely non aggressive manner. It appears that the OP has thought better of her story, and has removed it from the thread. I do not know this person, and was not on the dive to have discussed it at that time. I think when people publicly post reports of themselves doing inappropriate things, it is acceptable to comment on them publicly in an attempt to educate not only the OP, but also anyone who may be reading the post and thinking the behaviour was ok. I mean no ill will toward the OP. I believe that her actions indicate that she had most likely just never considered the impact of hanging on the sponge. I don't believe it makes me a bad person for pointing out that it was not a good idea, and with some thought and help she can have the experience she so obviously loved, while also protecting the environment. I believe that her removal of the story indicates that she has realized that it may not have been something to be proud of. We are all human. We all make mistakes. As a new diver I also did inappropriate things out of ignorance, and am grateful that people chose to point them out and help me understand what is right and what is wrong.

I suspect from your comment that you think I was at the dive in question, and am somehow ambushing this person. I suspect that you did not see her glowing rendition of events detailing how hard she struggled to keep her grasp on the sponge. I can not speak to your knowledge of this thread, but I like to think that if you are aware of the entire thread you would not judge me so harshly. If you did see her review in it's entirety and still hold this opinion, then I accept that you have a right to it.

I am in full agreement, in fact I thought you were very tactful.
I have seen far too many "experienced" photographers who seem to think that rules do not apply to them and that a photo op is more important than preserving the reef. It's not acceptable!

How much touching and/or holding is appropriate? How is one to know when they've crossed the line over to destroying? Unless we are certain where that line is, are we not better to advocate "don't touch"? Here in Cozumel, why would it be okay to touch a sponge at Cantarel but not at Yucab? Doesn't that muddy the waters even more?

No means no. Didn't HR teach you this! :cool2:

Wow thanks for sharing the pics. I did't see that many in Dec but it is not a zoo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom